Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Malayalam Language

Hi all,

We have a new little girl with little or no english whose own language is Malayalam. She's nearly four and has just started our state run nursery. I'm finding it very difficult to find any sites with translations for simple Nursery notices ie labels for objects, numbers, even a sign for toilet. Got lots of help for a little Polish boy whose also started this term but nothing for this language.

Will be extremely grateful for anything

thanks

Rosie

I'm in the same boat Rosie most of the ethnic children I have speak Malayalam and I even downloaded a childrens teaching program to see if I could teach myself soem of the sounds, but found it very difficult.

Good luck with your search if you find anything I would be most interested. I'm sure some one on the Forum will let you know of one it is a problem that has come up before.

Steph

Parents are your best resource for Malayalam, we have found that most parents also use Hindi, and some of the children do as well,

we always ask parents first, before going anywhere else now, as they are always willing to help and are pleased that you take an interest in thier childrens individual needs .

we never did find any resources for this language even our EMAS were no help!

Inge

Try your Children's Information Service, ours offers a translation service, or try the catalogue Mantra Lingua they are very good and have a "translating" pen (thats not what its called but its someting like that).

Thanks I've just been reading Sept Nursery ed and the talking pen is advertised in it. Looks quite interesting. Have not had much of a chance to speak to the parents yet. May ask them to help me with basic key phrases as the pen and other bits seems to be about £50. Cheers for all your help. We'll see what challenges next week brings!!

Rosie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)