Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Short Term Planning

:D:o Thankyou Susan,

I have downloaded and had a look at the short term planning and I can see how this would work. I gather you had already numbered the ELG's so you could look at them at a glance. My only problem lies with the school as I have no regular NNEB or LSA...just the odd session each week...so I don't quite know how I am going to work around this as it leaves me with very little opportunity for floating observations...but this is something I will take up with the school. I am spending the day glued to my comp and planning as we are back on Tuesday! So I will post any planning on here tonight or tomorrow and I would be grateful of feedback as you guys have seen planning in practice in the FS!!!! I am still on my ''stablizers'' as far as planning is concerned. But it's comforting to know that I can come on here and get some constructive feedback!

Watch this space,

Dougal

xxxxxx :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi Dougal -

I'm just checking that you have seen our article on planning, which has various templates and forms, some from Susan, some from elsewhere, associated with it?

It's quite general but if you haven't seen it it might be worth a quick browse - you can find it here. :)

(Edit: I've just popped along to have a look at it myself, and noticed it didn't survive the re-formatting process very well when we re-launched the site! :o

I'll sort that out in the near future, but as long as you can put up with strangely short lines etc, it's still quite useable)

HI Dougal, I had realised that you will be short staffed :o

You can of course take out those lines! and also you use it as evidence for your head as to your need.

I realise I was particularly lucky to have both an NNEB(fulltime) and an LSA(part time) but this is what my head saw as the children's entitlement and indirectly mine! and was essential to getting FS provision right.

Ok, I can do this............. I am going to be really brave and post a vague outline plan for the first 2 weeks back at school! As I say they are vague because it is very hard to plan when you don't know the children. However it does show the way I set out my plans and gives me some ideas to start with at the beginning of the week.

(NB The chn start mornings only at first)

Karen

eg.doc

Well done Karen :D:D

You were really brave, it takes a lot to share your planning with everyone and can make you feel quite vulnerable, but rest assured that we all value your contribution and it is always a help to see how others plan, as it makes you evaluate your own planning format and gives you ideas for activities. Come on the rest of you, I can see how many people have been making downloads from all the planning on the site - not so many are up for sharing though?! :oxD

I have only saved it to my hard drive and haven't looked at it yet, as I needed to enlarge the view as it was too small for me to read properly, but at first glance it looks great - well done!

I look forward to seeing lots more plans here soon! :D

Thanks Shelley- it's nice to hear from you!

Shelley is right though- come one everyone else. I'm willing to keepposting plans- weekly / med as they arise (not just immed but during the year too), as long as others take the plunge too!!!!!!

Hi Karen, Shelley etc!! :)

I am working on ways I can do this. As some of you know, I work in a private Day Nursery. This means that there are certain constraints on what information we can share with others!

The obvious way around this is for me to rewrite my planning to avoid any possibility of linking it to my setting, but this is clearly very time consuming, so you'll just have to bear with me and the wait, I'm afraid! Being for a DN also means that my planning will not necessarily be of use to many of you!!

But, we need to share!! :o

Sue :D

hi Karen, Shelley, Susan and Sue, :D:D:D

Still in the midst of planning but found this Independent activities plan...it has the different areas and at the top of each box you highlight which of the 6 areas you are covering...... And as for being brave.... xD am going to put my planning up this week on the site, short and long term. I intend to keep posting each half term...that way if everyone does it there is a catalogue of ideas we can share. Please be gentle as i am an NQT so my planning may not be as brill as those that have tried and tested their ideas! :o

Dougal x

Independent_Activities_Plan.doc

AS you know Im about to start Supply teaching but am more than interested in what you are all doing and willing to help if I can in any way but actually have nothing to share unless anyone needs any help with the planner I posted!!!

Hi Susan,

Just a question about your planner.

I am a little confused about how you note down Learning Intentions.

Is it simply the numerical code at the top?

Hope my brain will star working when I'm back at school tomorrow!

HI Magenta

The numerical code refers to the ELG that is being worked towards.

I have a separate list of these taken from the FS Guidance folder as they appear and numbered.

Then I write down the learning intention of the activity, which may or may not be in SS language. I do not plan directly to SSs.

I have explained this elsewhere but am in danger of running late for anappointment this morning so will link it for you later if you have not found it. I also have a planner, although I think I posted it in the members articles, that I think may help your FS Unit planning or at least start you off. Get back to you later.

Susan, I just wondered where on your planning sheet you write the learning intention?

I have looked at lots of planning formats and am now trying to adapt your format.

I too have codes for ss and elgs but not sure if this is enough?!

Thank you for all of your help Susan.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Shelley thats the the advantage I keep hanging on to! :D

Magenta, I write them in the top boxes alongside the ELG number.

If you need any more specific help, give me a shout!

Here is the planner I promised yesterday. Couldnt find where I'd promised this last night, it'd been a long day. Althopugh I called it a weekly planner it could easily be used for a longer period but I would think could be used across FS in your unit to show provision and with each teacher taking from it what they needed for their own group, depending on how you are operating.

Karen, your planning looks superb, I particularly like the success criterion at the end of each week. That makes for an easy evaluation and presumably isnt much more than your learning intentions reprinted?

You have an awful lot of content there though and I wonder just how much you are going to achieve so dont be disapponted if you dont quite make it! I'm not questioning your teaching skills more the children's ability to take that all on board, or perhaps I'm just slow and have lost the plot with age!!! Personally I wouldnt introduce Jolly Phonics for the first 3 weeks, while the children settle in and I get a feel for what they already know. Valued added and all that :o .

Dougal, yours look fine too if this is how you are prefering to plan.

Good luck everybody! :D

Here is the draft planning format that I'm planning to trial for Reception aged chn. in our FS Unit. This is adapted from a plan already posted by Susan!! Thank you so much.

We will have a separate plan for 'ongoing' activites for each of our 3 rooms and outside - these will be basically a list of possible activities for each area that will be highlighted - an extra section will provide opportunity to add different planned activities and to comment on which direction chn. took with Child Initiated Activities.

Does this make sense?

At least I don't feel quite so guilty now about downloading other people's plans!!

p.s. it's not filled in yet!! Will post another later when I am completely happy with the plan!!

Foundation_Stage_Weekly_Planning.doc

Great to see others contributing. Many thanks- between us we will get the Foundation stage sussed!

Susan- I know what you mean about a lot to cover and I doubt I will. I either plan too much or not enough- at least this way I can pick and choose! As for the Jolly Phonics I was unsure about starting so soon but was following info I'd read. May re think that bit. Hard. because I want to intro all the letters asap but I also feel that 2-3 letters a week is enough. Also my head doesn't want me teaching the diagraphs etc (oa, oo) (hope I've got the terminology right!)

Dougal- look forward to seening your plans. Definately a good idea to post them half termly and anyone who slacks should get a reminder- so make sure you remind me when the time comes!!

Karen

Hi Karen,

I think you would be surprised at how well the children cope with a faster approach to JP.

I always did 4 a week, with consolidation on a Friday, or catch up if something else had happened! Children coped well and they were majority EAL speakers.

Even giving yourself a 3 week gap at the beginning of term you will be well on your way by half term!

I worked JP for 2 years covering only those sounds as covered in the NLS and children did not benefit as much as last year when I worked the programme as it stood. Progress and understanding was greater and we were congratulated by HMI when they visited as to the progress and pace the children were making.

You obviously have to go with your head, I dont advocate doing it alone or against policy but there is a wealth of information to support the programme, look on the TES boards if youre not aware of it! (oops!!!)

Magenta your sheet looks good to me! and I'm only too pleased to be able to give someone a hand. I'd really love to work in a FS unit so I may be picking your brains one day! Let us know how it all works out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who has been sharing their planning. It's really interesting to see how it's being tackled in different settings. I am just starting to word-process my planning for the firt time and have repeatedly tried to attach next week's short term planning, but with no success -apparently the system can't upload excel files? Anyway, we have 2 planning sheets in Reception- one for the learning intentions, divided into knowledge and skills, and one for the supporting activities. We are just starting to extend our outdoor provision and are now working on ways to show it in our plans. How does everyone else juggle focused learning activities indoors and out?

Great to see people still posting plans. Please can we all remind each other- me included to keep it up. I will try to remeber to post plans for the next few weeks as soon as I have done them!

Thats a different approach, ASPK. and one that I could go with quite easily. :D

Do you not need to detail what you are covering each day? My head wanted our ST plans to reflect what she would see in the classroom at any time, and thats the difficult bit at the beginning of the week. Although we were encouraged to be flexible we still needed to demonstrate where we planned to be! :o

The trouble is, Susan, that with Reception you never quite know where you will be! :D It all depends on how things go each particular day and what crises and what spontaneous learning takes place! :o SO, what I do is keep a daily plan in the form of rough notes in my "day book", which itemises the specifics, including which children I'll be working with. I highlight my ST plans as I go along to show what has been achieved. Obviously, there are certain things that happen everyday, such as the phonic and big book slot and whole class number work (rhymes, fingers, puppets etc). Our head is very relaxed about planning and because she is early years trained she understands exactly what the issues are...

There are certain activities that carry on all week or even over a fortnight on occasions. With writing tasks I try and work through about 5 children a day (but not necessarily all in the morning). At the moment I am juggling with coordinating 2 reception classes that share a large outdoor area. We have four staff (2 teachers, 2 TA) and we have to have at least one adult outside all the time, so it's pretty tough getting focused activities done sometimes.

:D OH, I agree entirely. :D

My ST planner was always full of holes to allow for catch up or continuation activities with the learning intentions for the week listed at the top. But my support staff liked to be dictated to exactly what they were to do when and other meambers of my team liked to work in a similar fashion so things were often difficult!!

• 9 months later...
I am going to attempt to attach a copy of the planning we are trialling this term for FS1 and FS2. it is adapted from the Early Excellence model.

14321[/snapback]

Do you use the same plan for F1 as for F2?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)