Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Union

I have just come across some reading matter detailing different unions.

I don't belong to a union, it seems quite a chunk out of my wages, but wonder if I'm in the majority or minority.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments,

thanks,

jackie

If you don't wish to join a Union I believe that you can get some sort of employment insurance. If for no other reason than you have access to expert advice should you ever be in a situation where you were accused of anything, made redundant, were put into capability or you wished to take out a grievance. These things do happen unfortunately. I have seen it in practice with colleagues and they needed union support.

Hi Wolfie, I am montessori trained running the kindergarten in an independant school,

and I guess because I'm not teacher trained, have always been a bit unsure about the union side of things

jackie

Hi JMB,

I'm a childminder (& NCMA member, which gives me support, legal advice etc) and I would strongly advise you to join a union.

In the past 18 months I have seen 3 good friends who work in schools call on their unions for support, all for different reasons.

1) verbal bullying by a more senior member of staff

2) unreasonable changes to working hours without consultation and

3) an allegation of gross misconduct against a senior member of admin staff in an Independent school.

1 & 2 were resolved at face to face meetings with a union rep present and things have run smoothly since.

3 was very tricky. Apparently Independent schools can pretty much make up their own rules - & change them - as they go along. The Union rep had gone up against them twice before and lost both times - he advised my friend to resign rather than leave with a stain on her reputation even though she had several witnesses (one a housemaster!) supporting her and confirming a malicious campaign to oust her by a woman in the admin office!

It may seem like a lot of money now but one day you may be VERY glad of it!

Nona

That's very interesting and is prompting me to renew mine. It just got put to the back of a paperwork pile and I forgot about it. I forgot to say I am a teacher, so I would be interested to know where others are members.

Guest MaryEMac

I joined a union when I was a mid-day supervisor at school and when I left, I continued to be a member. It's mostly for my peace of mind.

Mary

There are a number of unions you can join, NUT, ATL, NASUWT, and VOICE. Your choice would be personal to you, and perhaps you could log on to them and see which one you would be happy with. Sometimes it is best to join the one that the other teachers at your school belong to. As I said before you can also take out insurance to cover you but i'm not sure how to do that.

Hello!

I am in UNISON.

I am an NNEB

Have been for too many years to count really!!!!!

I joined when I worked on a childrens ward and one day this parent really laid into me because her very ignorant unpleasant child was prompted (by me) to say thank you, when I handed him his tea.

His mother told me he didn't have to say thank you............................ as he was ill.

She made a huge song and dance about it.

(Bear in mind here please he wasn't ill as such, he was waiting to see someone after having his plaster re done on his leg)

It was at that moment when I realised even when you are doing a good job somebody can pull the rug from under you fo the smallest of reasons and you need to know theres someone in your corner.

In the same job I had to re apply for my post after a new regrading system was brought in.

WE nursery nurses had a huge battle to graded as per our job and the unions were with us all the way through countless meetings... and we won.... and we got back pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the down side, our local authority has just been through a reorganisation............ where we all had to re apply for our jobs (in school settings) and throughout that I found the union to be inefficient and not very helpful at our end of things.

They may however have worked hard on conditions of the change....... so who can tell.

I'm in ATL, a union which covers quite a broad range of education staff nowadays I'm pleased to say that support staff is their biggest growing area. I'm a union rep for my school, quite by default through being only me and 1 other member of staff in my school in my union. The rest are the in NUT but I do not wish to join them, as someone else said each person should see which union suits them best.

I've had a difficult time at my old school and my union were there to support me and plus they do fab training courses (many of them free) and I can, if I so choose, do a masters degree for just £500!