Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Centre Teacher

Hello there!

I have recently been appointed as a Children's Centre Teacher. My new post is due to start this September and I m feeling a bit of a mix of nerves and excitement. It just feels so different to be starting as more of a 'floaty' person than a class teacher. I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I have been fortunate to visit the Centre and everyone seems to be lovely and supportive. My post is a new one and I will be working alongside another established CCTs , so hopefully I can shadow them a bit.

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me?

Any tips, advice or useful resources would be much appreciated.

Bluebell

Hi Bluebell and a warm welcome to the forum. :o I'm preschool myself but there are some CCTs around here somewhere and I'm sure they'll make themselves known to you soon.

Congratulations on your new post which I'm sure you'll get used to very soon. Best of luck for your first day and do let us know how you get on. xD

Good luck with your new job - sounds really exciting! :o

Thankyou to everyone for the warm welcomes so far. I'm sure I will be getting to know you all soon

Bluebell

I have been a children's Centre teacher for a year now and only just coming to terms with all that it entails. The role is complex as I'm sure you have realised. I'm in a position at the moment where I am often counted in ratio and this is an issue that nobody is able to reslove at the moment.

However, that aside, my role is that of a leader of learning accross all ages in the centre from birth upwards. I work with all staff with observations, assessments, planning, resourcing and using outdoor areas, special needs, working with paernts, involving children in planning, training etc etc etc. i'm lucky that I work with a great team of staff in the nursery.

I also workk with centre staff again in the capacity of leader of learning however this is needed with individuals. I work most closely with the dissability link worker.

I also work with child minders again supporting them with all of the above.

I went on a course at Huddersfield early Excellence about the role of the teacher in Children's Centres led by Marion Dowling and it was fantastic.

Not sure if this is of any use to you!

• 1 month later...

Hi Bluebell,

I've just registered on the forum & have just started as a Children's centre Teacher this term as well- hope you're enjoying the job so far!

I'm still feeling my feet in the job but am being supported by fab staff in all aspects of our childrens centre.

So far, I am supporting Stay & Play, working in FS Unit 1 morning, working in our 0-3 nursery & working with Childminders' network. Every day seems different but I'm loving it!

I'm also working with the staff in our 0-3 nursery developing planning & assessment which seems to be going well

Have you been able to go & look round other Children's Centres & meet other CC Teachers? I'm going next week & the lady I'm going to visit has been really friendly & helpful over the phone. ALso, ask about a cluster group for CC teachers, apparently they are shooting up in different areas.

I do still feel a bit 'floaty'! very strange not having a class!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)