Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Out Door Provision

I have completey shut off from work and finding it hard to get my brain in to gear :o Can you please help me get the ball rolling!!

imagine you are lucky enough to have access to an extra outdoors area directly off the pre-school garden. Now this area is a woodland area with an enclosed pond. Apart from the necesary safety measures with fence boundaries and netting over the pond altho the fence is quite tall and the children would never be unsupervised. I need to do a list of activities we would want the children to access in this area so far i have (needs to stay natural and will be used by reception poss yr 1 children)

den making poss willow structre

insect house/magnifying glasses etc

bird house

thanking you in advance

Andrea

We had an sculptor who collected sticks and branches with the children and, using string to join them, they made all sorts of animal shapes. Some were really big and they were very effective, so you could provide rope and strings and see what the children make of that. They could make models out of natural materials, or use those black shiny mats to make patterns from collections of natural items. I notice that young children love collecting grass, twigs and pebbles and making homes for insects, or other animals, or attempt to build birds nests. So they will probably do all that on their own if there are few resources to start them off.

Providing sweeping brushes, a wheelbarrow and a few spades would be fun for them as well. An explorers kit, rugs and perhaps a picnic basket. A book basket with some relevant books for children on identifying birds, insects, flowers and trees. Stories like Percy the Park-keeper, Red-Riding Hood etc might stimulate some imaginative play and could be left out in a basket. Collect some logs and make them into a pile and let the children see what hides underneath them. I'm sure the children will move them about for building with as well.

You could also bring some ICT outdoors with binoculars/telescopes to spot the birds or even a microscope to look at leaf formations, insects etc.

Writing implements and paper to draw what they see and to explore textures by doing rubbings of trees etc

thanks everyone I can feel the old brain cells beginning to work again. would you e inclined to zone the area or just provide resource baskets/boxes to use at their leisure. For example an area for reading/books a construction area an exploratory area?

andrea

You could try Andrea but I expect the children would just use the resources anywhere and everywhere.

Providing resources in boxes/baskets that are easily accessible would give the true meaning of the word 'freeflow' allowing the children to take their play where they want.

It certainly sounds like it will be a fantastic new outdoor resource, what lucky children. :o

Thanks for the links Marion: have been keeping an eye out for a bubble mixture recipe!

I love the mud writing and smelly cocktails - can't wait to see what the parents make of them! :o

Have a look at Andy Goildsworthy's work - maybe laminate some photos of his sculptures and hang them from trees to inspire children. I'd have lots of empty baskets made from natural materials for children to collect treasures in, trowels, buckets and wheelbarrows, paper and glue and other art materials, den building stuff.. your children are so lucky!

Have a look at learning through Landscapes site and forest schools sites - if you'vr got money to spend look at Mindstretchers website.

I agree that it would be a good idea to have a central woodland store of resources so children can use the whole exciting environment how they like. Perhaps you could get a circle of tree stumps or a willow den to make a special story area, but other than that I'd let the children's imaginations have free reign!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)