Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

1st Day In Reception

Hi Guys,

I'm playing with ideas for the first few days in reception, I've got some great ideas off this board for activities and games but i am wondering how much to do.

On the first day i wanted to introduce a few rules ie stopping and listeing, getting into a line etc. Then basicly circle time to get the class talking and to help me get to know them etc while doing this i'll introduce the topic of holidays and then we'll do some work on that.

After break i wanted to something on numeracy like a few games and then some number recognition. After lunch i want to play some more games to help with the names and then get them to do collages of their faces to go on the wall.

Obviously this is pretty basic layout of the day but is this too much. All the activites will be creative.

Please help as i dont want to tire them out! or do too much!

Thanks x

It's a good idea to have plenty of ideas for activities, but be careful that you don't put too much pressure on yourself or your children. How many are starting on the first day?

My plan for the first 2 days - we start on 7th, then INSET then back in, then weekend! (half the class on the first day, then rest join) is very relaxed. I will basically talk to the children about the classroom rules eg. no running (these will be discussed in greater detail with golden rules in the first full week), we will practise sitting in body basics and lining up and I will take photos for displays of this and any activities they do, so I can do a 'First Day at School' display. Most of the day will be spent playing with the children, letting them get to know us and feel comfortable with their surroundings.

If you do circle time, I advise you to divide the class in half for the first few sessions. Last year I launched into whole class sessions and the children didn't have the concentration span required to find out 25 other names! Even playing pass the smile/squeeze/high 5 etc. once they'd had their go, they weren't interested. I am going to use the parachute more to get the children used to being in a whole class circle, and play games that way. The only set activity I am going to have during the first 2 days, is to ensure that the children write/trace/copy their name for my display on 'Welcome to Reception' which features a photo of each child and their written name. The rest of the time will be taken up with stories, playing & generally getting to know the classroom/classmates & staff.

Enjoy yourself! You will be exhausted, work on the basics and you will be rewarded! Good luck!

Hi I agree with shelley, don;t do anything too heavy academic wise for the first few days just set up routines and get let the children get to know you and vise versa.

Shelley i'm probably been dense but what is sitting in body basics?

No you're not being dense!!! :D:o

I looked at my post after I sent it and wondered if any other schools used that term?! It's a Jersey-thing!! Body basics just means sitting cross-legged with arms folded, eyes looking and ears listening, it just saves time to teach the children what it means and then just say 'body basics'!!!! Same for line basics!!

The most amazing thing is in assembly when the head says "body basics" to the whole school - even the teachers sit up straight!!!!

Right, husband in bed waiting(?!).....can't believe I am thinking about work at midnight on a Saturday in the summer hols.....sad or what?!!! xD

I start my reception children on half-days for the first three weeks. They are brought in by their parents, and once they have found their pegs they are settled into activities already laid out in the classroom in continuous provision. I iconcentrate on getting to know the children. playing with them and teaching routines like going to the toilet, snack time, signals for stopping what they are doing and tidying up. We have lots of stories and songs, lots of painting and lots of free choice. the first story i read is one they heard on their last visit which this term is the 3 Bears which links with our home role-play. if the weather is fine we make use of outdoor play. They all take a story book home at the end of the day for their parents, hopefully, to read to them at home.

They have had a small booklet to fill in with thier parents over the summer and i talk to each child about theirs individually over the course of the fist few days.

We don't join assemblies straight away but gradully join in over the first term. We go to something appropriate.

Hi,

thanks for all the replies!

Susan i have no idea how many children i have or their spercific ages, all i know is that i have a reception class. I got my job at the end of term and never got any information before they broke up. This is my problem!

I go into school for the first time tomorrow so except me on here tomorrow night!

Thanks x

Did you have a good day today at school? It must be so difficult for you to plan ahead without all the relevant information. Let us know the set up, but to be honest what Jacquie describes is exactly what I will be doing. Do the children come from a range of nurseries or is there a school nursery?

Hi everyone. I have just joined the forum (thought i had better get back into the swing of things). I have taught nursery for the past nine years and am entering a rec class for the first time in Sept. I plan to run the classroom pretty much like a nursery for the first couple of weeks. This will give me time to get to know the children etc. It is also a time to establish routines - thus reducing the amount of time the children spend outside (a big shock to many of the children) gradually. Any other tips or hints would be graeatly appreciat

Have their names on their pegs in advance, also i make a label for each child so that everyone kows who they are. i have thier trays ready labeled so that they have sonewhere to put thier own things if need be. You will need to set up your classroom in advance so that they come in to somewhere prepared for them ,with lots to do, as they flit at first checking what is available. This is the only time I set up the role-play without the children helping me. I always start with home play as it is a popular theme and can give some insights into the children early on.

HI Nicnic and welcome. Glad you've found us!

I actually think you can run your Reception classroom like the nursery for more than just a few weeks and perhaps you can help us all develop our outdoor play more profitably, as I know this is an area I always find particularly difficult!

I actually gave up with trays in Reception some time a go as I found the logistics of little children accessing trays very difficult and so did they. instead I had large storage boxes for their book wallets, 1 for each group which made everything far more accessible for me and the children! (plastic fruit boxes are ideal if you can find a friendly greengrocer in this superstore age!)

You make me feel very excited and I hope all will go well for you. Have you made the change or has it been forced upon you?

Good luck.

Buttonmoon, how did you get on yesterday?

Hi everyone,

I didnt do too badly when i went into school the other day, except it had been flooded! Luckily i didnt get off too badly but nursery didnt fair as well.

I went excepting to get all my planning and to meet some of the other teachers but no one was there! The Nursery teacher went in because her room was flooded and she told me a few things... My children dont turn up for three weeks so i have some time to get to know the school and rountines before they get there. Is this normal? I have to go on some home visits as some of the children didnt go to the schools nursery what should i expect for these?

The previous planning seems well structured and comprehensive but i have a few things i obviously want to do. The theme we start with is celebrations so theres lots of creative things to do.

One thing i was worried about is that the classroom although resourced has a lot of 'rubbish' in it. Hundreds of folders and endless draws full of paper, how should i go about removing things. The previous teacher is staying on for a while to help... i dont want to look bad.

Thanks x

To be honest I couldn't stand having piles of papers and old work stuff around and would have to chuck it. You could wait and ask the old teacher if she's passing it up to Y1, if she is ask her to sort that stuff to one side and chuck the rest and if not, CHUCK!!! Clear the decks so you can see clearly. :o

Buttonmoon, gald you ahd a good visit, although its shame the other stsaff werent there but at least you know you've plenty of time now to prepare before the children arrive. No doubt there will be an agenda though, from the schools perspective.

Home visits are becoming more usual within Reception classes, we go and visit all our children, as we have no attched nursery. It is an excellent way of making contact with the parents and indeed the children, who will talk about it forever! make sure you have looked at the Profile Handbook, as that has a section on home visiting, although you may find your school already has information gathering formats.

You should never go alone when you home visit and it is quite usual to refuse refreshments, politely of course!

I used to take a selection of pictures wiyh me for the child to choose and colour and bring to school on their first visit. Other settings take library books to share and return to school after starting.

As my school had a large population of EAL speakers, it was ususal for me to talk to the parents and my bilingual companion to translate. If this is not necessary, one if you can talk to the child and the other to the parent.

If you are going to write anything down then make sure the parent knows what you are writing!

Dont be afriad to tell a parent that you dont know something and that you will find out than to tell them something that is incorrect by mistake.

It is always quite a nerve racking arriving at a house and knocking on the door, a parent has every right to refuse you permission to enter but I have never had that happen to me. It is also very tiring so try not to do more than 4-6 visits at a time. I have also been quite upset at some of the home conditions that I have seen so be prepared for anything!!

As far as the clutter in your classroom goes, although I agree you need to clear it I would suggest that you check carefully that it is rubbish! You mention folders but what are they. You may find you need folders for childrens work, you may have folders with curriculum policies and schemes etc. As a classroom within a school I was required to have my classroom equipped with the basics that a teacher for any class would need.

Paper can always used by the children for writing, drawing, cutting and sticking so look at it carefully too before you discard.

You may even find that the previous teacher will remove some of this herself. If not ask her and go highger if needed.

Jacquie has mentioned labelling pegs before the children arrive but I have actually found that the most successful way to make sure the children know where their peg is is to let them choose the peg and label it in front of them. This was particulary helpful as my peg area was immediately outside the classroom and very squashed. It was actually impossible to see any names when the coats were hung up. DO you put the name labels along side the peg, under it, above it (I didnt have room for that!) or across it. Last year I fixed them across and that was also less confusing.

I also prefer to have communal boxes for book wallets rather than individual drawers.

Enjoy your last few days and Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)