Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Put Me Out Of My Misery!

Sue R

OK, I've been silent for long enough!

Does anyone have any comment on the 'Storytelling - A Dying Art ' article? Has anyone found it useful or even interesting?

I don't want accolades, just an idea if I'm on the right lines or barking mad!! Besides, this is the right time of year to bury rubbish :o

Sue xD

I enjoyed reading your article and found it a useful summary. Perhaps we could post stories we find successful for telling? Here is one i got from America:

But No Elephants

You will need:

A Grandma, Pet Seller, Duck, Zebra, Tortoise, Kangaroo Large Elephant, Snow flakes, House (smaller that the Elephant but big enough for the others to fit on), sun, palm tree sign that says "WELCOME ELEPHANTS"

GRANDMA lived all alone, she worked hard and had no time to play. One day a PET SELLER came. He asked her if she would like to buy a pet. She said "yes but NO elephants" She bought a DUCK he was a good cook. The next day the pet seller came he asked her if she would like another pet. She said "Yes but NO elephants" She bought a ZEBRA he helped her cut wood for the fire The next day the pet seller came he asked her if she would like another pet. She said "yes but No Elephants" She bought a TORTOISE he carried the groceries home for her. The next day the pet seller came he asked her if she would like another pet. She said "yes but No Elephants" She bought a Kangaroo she carried things around for her in her pouch.

The next day the pet seller came he asked her if she would like another pet. She said "yes but No Elephants" The pet seller said "Oh but Elephants are on special offer" since Grandma could not resist a special offer. the ELEPHANT stayed. It started to snow and snow and snow (SNOWFLAKES) The Elephant began to cry all the other animals felt sad, "ok come in the house" said the Grandma. The Elephant squeezed into the house, but he fell out the bottom of the floor. It snowed and snowed and now everyone felt sad. The Elephant was hard to take care off, he ate all the food. The Grandma said "you know I said No Elephants"

The Elephant felt sad too. He had an idea, he started to walk and he carried them to a place where there was warm Sunshine and PALM TREES and a sign saying WELCOME ELEPHANTS" and they were all happy and warm and Grandma drank lemonade and they still live there today.

This story seems silly to adults but is a big hit with the children!

Thanks Deb!!

That's a really good idea! As I've put ideas into my article, I beg leave to cry off for a bit - also pressure - Quality Assurance (as I'm sure you ALL KNOW!!!). Will try to burst back onto the arena big time!!!!!!

Sue :D

Thank you Sue! I really enjoyed your article and it prompted me to think about how much I rely on books at storytime. It also brought to mind the time when I "told" Goldilocks and the Three Bears". The children absolutely loved it and so did I because of the increased amount of interaction and eye contact you can achieve. I also remembered trying to tell the story of "Rama and Sita" and getting in a mess because I forgot part of the story! Thank you for all the advice. Am going away to think about other stories I could tell the children when we return in September!!

Kaybee

The article is really inspiring Sue and I'm sure that lots of people will give it a go and find that its not as difficult as they think its going to be. :) Goldilocks is a really easy one - I did this with the children the last week of term and as you know I was back at work for the first day yesterday. I had left all the props in the book trolley and when it came to story time all my returning children grabbed the props and demanded the story - this after a 6 week break. They all joined in with the story (even the new children could do this as it is a familiar story and repetitive too) and it was a great way to introduce the younger children to storytime as they were transfixed. At least I hope they were and not just terrified of my Daddy bears voice!! :D:D

Deb, I love your story but I had to laugh out loud when I read 'You will need: A grandma'! Had visions of going and dragging one in off the street. :o:(:(xD

Hi Sue, the article was really useful. I usually tell stories as a time filler rather than a set piece but the article made me think more about story telling as a part of circle time. I already tell 3 bears, gingerbread man and 3 little pigs but I will be re-reading and memorising more stories. I know from the stories I've told in the past that they do often hold the childrens attention more, I sometimes use the chidren too to hold some of the props and say the lines if they wish. It also reinforces the story by being able to 'see' it happening rather than just hearing it. Thank you :o

Thanks all for your comments. I really enjoyed Sue's article when I first read it, along with her first one on an art project in the foundation stage (and if you haven't read that one, it's accompanied by some really good extra resources in the form of 'recipes' for, for example, 3D paint).

While we're on the subject of article feedback, if anyone enjoys the articles we're publishing it would be great to get some comments, either privately or posted in this 'Article Discussions' forum. Firstly, it lets us know what is useful to the community generally and gives us an idea of what to concentrate on in the future, and secondly it encourages the writers, who frequently have put their heart into the articles and are really keen to know what people think! :)

Thanks, Steve, and everyone else that has taken the time to post here. I was really embarassed to ask for feedback, but, as Steve so rightly pointed out, both the articles I've contributed so far have been on subjects very close to my heart. As such, it's like setting a child free into the big, bad world - exciting, terrifying and sick-making all at once! But also like pouring your heart out in Hyde Park - well, perhaps that's a bit extreme, but you get the message?

I quite agree with all that Steve says about feedback. Thanks again

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)