Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Playing With Sounds Document And Thrass Phonic

Hi

I've just recieved the new 'Playing with Sounds' document and it looks quite interesting particularly the new stuff on step 1 and the talking books. In the research part it says that all teachers should have knowledge of THRASS but i've never heard of it. Can anybody give me some information.

Thanks

Hi Cazza, thanks for that post - it was getting really spooky round here, wasn't it! I didn't know what THRASS was either so I had a look at some websites & it stands for "teaching handwriting, reading and spelling skills" and it appears to go into some detail, at foundation stage level about how we should not just teach 'a' as the sound in cat, but should also think about the other sounds it can make. It also says that we should be teaching all 20 (!) vowel sounds (though I should think that would spill into year 1 in most cases) to children.

Anyway, I'm sure that someone will know lots about it & enlighten us both when they arrive back from their holidays!

What do you think of the 'playing with sounds' materials themselves? I looked at them too, at the standards site but think I was being a bit dumb and finding it hard to take it all in on the screen rather than having some paper to read!

Dianne xxx

Hi, our local primary have just had training in THRASS, I dont know much about it except that it comes from Australia. There is a web site but it's mostly for ordreing as appose to information, www.thrass.co.uk (I think)

I had a look at the document on the standards site... it looks quite interesting so I have ordered a copy. A bit sad I know but I will be out of action as from Friday and will need something to keep my brain working.

Thanks for the information about this... else I would have been in the dark until it had travelled through relevant people at school.

L

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)