Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ba Or Eyp

Hi

I'm doing my last year of the degree and the uni has asked me to think about what i want to do afterwards. I have been told i need O level mathes to do the EYP but i dont need it to do the BA honours... i thought you needed it for both... My questions are

• do you need mathes to do them

what's the difference between BA honours and the EYP

Hi No you don't need maths to do the BA, I start a BA top up in Sept and I dont have it, but yes you do need a GCSE in maths to gain EYPS, you also need a full degree (i.e. not a Foundation one) to be able to complete the EYPS, though you can work this so that you complete both together.

A BA is a qualification whereas EYPS is just that - a status

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your replies... so can i just ask if you are in a pre-school setting(Manager) are you better doing the EYP or the BA Honours with all the new legislation that is due to come out... sooo confusing just don't want to make the wrong choice...

I'm the manager of a day nursery. Just completed a foundation degree and starting a BA(Hons) in September. Was going to start the EYPS at the same time but have decided not to in the hope that someone else with a degree will come along and then they can do it instead lol!!

I personally would do the BA then do the validation route to EYP after getting your maths. Then you have everything.... Bar the QTS and the pay that you deserve for the work

I personally would do the BA then do the validation route to EYP after getting your maths. Then you have everything.... Bar the QTS and the pay that you deserve for the work

Its a tough one this: we were offered such incentives to do the long pathway whilst studying for the BA. It was hard to turn down! :o

Im just about to do EYPs in september, EYP isnt an alternative to a BA, it's not a stand alone qualification,you'll need a BA first or do EYP alongside the top up/3rd year of a BA

I havent got English grade C and I was in the same boat I was able do the BA(hons) without it but not the EYP

I had to do an English equivelancy test at the university, which Im glad to say I passed, Ive just been accepted to do the EYPs

It would probably be worth asking the university what gcse equivelants they will accept, some do provide equivalency tests or they might accept other national tests

• 1 month later...

Hi

Having completed a foundation degree I am about to start the EYP in Sept alongside a BA in early years. There are three main ways of completing the EYP. i have chosen the long validation pathway which will work alongside the BA, hopefully it will be done and dusted in around 15 months. I have a gcse level 1 in maths so that is acceptable for the EYP and I have to do the english exam in equivlency testing when i get around to it due to a level 2 gcse, it has to be passed in order to gain the EYP, in other words passed before the end of the course.

Be careful if you use a local collage to gain literacy/ maths qualifications, I did adult literacy level 2 which my university will not accept even though the collage insist it is a higher level of qualification than that I have to do now.

I am a new manager in a playgroup and have decided to do both courses in order to keep my options open in the future, i figured while i was studying I may as well complete both and be finished with the studying in one go. The next step would be teacher training and at this moment in time i don`t think I want to go down that path. i like early years.

good luck with what you decide

a-jay

done the same as ajay - just completed BA hons whilst doing maths and english and now on validation for EYPS :o - am in early Years and at mo (and dont listen to Maz) but have no plans to go any further!!! :(xD

good luck in your decision :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)