Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsp

:o after reading one of the topics it has raised an issue which has now got me a tadge confussed. Scale points I know the children can achieve them in any order however, how do we record what scale point they have achieved say if a child in writing gets sp1, 2, 3, 4 and 6, or any other combination. having just filled out the recent National strategy for L & S, CLL AND PSE it was a nightmare!!! Can anyone cast any light on the matter?

thank you xDscale points

I remember phoning up about this some time ago, and was told that if they'd achieved say, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, you put that they had received up to scale point 5.

Doesn't seem to matter which scles points they'd achieved, just count up how may they have actually achieved.

Hope that makes sense!!

thank you yes it has, although we knew that the points can be achieved in any order I wasnt too sure how to score them...oh well next year it will be better!!!! :o

As Susan says children don't necessarily have to achieve the first three first

"The first three points describe a child who is still progressing towards the achievements described in the early learning goals, and are based mainly on the stepping stones in the curriculum guidance. Most children will achieve all of these three points before they achieve any of the early learning goals, but there may be some exceptions to this pattern."

http://www.qca.org.uk/libraryAssets/media/...ok_COMPLETE.pdf

There's some clearer guidance about points 1-3 versus 4-8 in the new handbook.

You also need to use your knowledge of the child and the level they are attaining against the curriculum so if a child is meeting the ELGs you would expect them to be within points 4-8. If they aren't then they would be operating within points 1-3 i.e below the ELGs(stands to reason really!) Yes there are some instances but the NAA assured us that these are relatively low and are usually linked to specific issues a child may have and that is what that caveat was to cover.

Eg CD: some practitioners argue that a child can have point 4(ELG) but not 2 or 3. I would argue that point 4 is intrinsically a development of musical skills expected in points 1,2 and 3 and therefore point 4 is not a "stand alone" as is often the way it is seen. In order to be confident with singing and using simple songs from memory there is an explicit need for the child to also be singing familiar songs (in exemplification for point 2) or joining in with songs (exemplification for point 1) or capturing experiences using media(my e.g. music -child starts singing 5 little monkeys whilst jumping...) . The dilemma about giving point 4 before points 1-3 arises because they haven't looked at the range of aspects also included within assessments for points 1-3 which often links back to understanding of the curriculum/provision whereas pt4 is rooted solely in the aspect of music. So continuous curriculum assessments towards ELGs matched against FSP points awarded can give us a way of checking our actual FSP outcomes if we use them intelligentlyso we can improve accuracy.

Cx

I've had children in the past who haven't achieved 1-3 but have achieved some of the ELGS

This year for example one child

Dispositions and Attitudes

Hasn't achieved ~ Shows interest in classroom activities through observation or participation or Displays high level of involvement in self-chosen activities but has achieved Dress/undresses and manages own personal hygiene with adult support

and the ELG Dress/undresses independently and manages own personal hygiene

The same with Numbers as labels and for counting

Can Says some number names in familiar contexts e.g. nursery rhymes and the ELG Says number names in order but can't

Counts reliably up to 3 everyday objects or Counts reliably up to 6 everyday objects

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all have - but I would still argue for the need to look more closely at the connections between the elgs and the developmental stages before - but really just passing on what came from the national launch event. The new handbook is more explicit about the developmental links between 1-3 and 4-8.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)