Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Organising Fsu Advice!

I am just about to be the reception teacher in a foundation unit.The only other staff in the unit are two qualified TAs both very experienced in early years.Reception has 27 children full time whereas nursery is part time 12 am and a different 12 pm.Is any one else in this situation...how do you organise it successfully? My main concerns are: how we can provide continuous outdoor with only three adults in the whole setting, fit in reception weekly 1 to 1 reading (which is a whole school policy),covering all areas in teacher focus groups with so few adults ...and so many more !!!!

Be really grateful for any ideas you have found work well.

Thanks

Andrea71

I am also in a FSU with 30 Reception and Nursery part time 26 am and 26pm when we are full. We have 4 staff 2 teachers and 2 TAs and do find that we could still do with more staff to do everything justice. In terms of reading all staff listen to readers, a group a day seems to work well with book changing done on a weekly basis. In nice weather we listen to readers outside too. We have usually 2 focused activities and somebody outside but sometimes find time seems to be spent on 'policing' the unit and sorting out children's needs such as disagreements or toileting problems! I don't think there is any easy way of doing it and I don't know if I've been of any help but at least you know you are not on your own!

Thanks Kermit

Ive had a scan through some of the forums and there are a few ideas but I really think we need more staff.Doubt that's going to happen .Still, we are not as badly off as one poor woman who talked about 5:99 ratio with just 2 of the adults teachers !!!!Count my blesssings!

Thanks again

Andrea

Hello Andrea 71,

We have been running an FSU for about 2 years now and still don't feel like we have fully cracked it. I have 30 F2 and there are around 14 F1's with myself QTS and two unqualified TA's.

In a morning we all do a phonic session which is followed by 'busy time' where the children choose child-iniitiated acitivities for an hour. During this time one member of staff is doing a focused activity, one is observing and the other is interacting and then sets up outside with the children.

We have a free-flow indoor/outdoor break system where the children can choose whether to go out or not. Each member of staff has the opportunity for a ten minute break.

At 11 F2 do a literacy session when F1 does letters and sounds games etc. One group of F2's do a focused lit activity and the rest of the children get busy again.

In the afternoon all children take part in numeracy sessions and a similar format to the literacy session takes place. The children then continue with child-initiated.

Hope this helps.

Boogie x

Edited by Guest

Cheers Boogie

We are trying something similar but with the second teacher input and group work session in the am being something other than literacy.Liked your idea about the break system as currently we've agreed to no breaks outside of dinner!

Thanks again

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I really sympathise with your dilema. It doesn't sound very legal to me either. In fact, I am aways amazed that the teaching qualification is supposed to enable teachers to grow additional bady parts such as heads, hands & feet! My advise is that you get loads of rest during the break ready for splitting yourself in half next month! Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)