Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Job, New Challenge!

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

Well, I've got a new job and am very excited! :(

The post is entitled "Learning Development Manager" and is a new post on the senior management team at a Children's Centre, encompassing the role of a Children's Centre Teacher with some added managerial responsibility. To quote the job description, I will be "part of a multi-disciplinary team, observing, role modelling, supporting and leading others in the provision of learning opportunities for children and adults across the Centre. I will be positive and passionate about the wealth of opportunities learners need and possess a strong belief that people are learners from birth."

So basically a "leader of learning" for children, staff and parents across the Centre, which is a phrase that Marion Dowling used and which has stuck in my head as something that I'd like to be! A very wide remit really but one that I'm very excited about. Although nothing was mentioned in the job description/person specification about EYPS, I do feel that this is the kind of job which will utilise the knowledge and skills that are built up as part of the EYPS process and training.

As always, a big thank you to everyone on the forum because there's so much that I read on here that gives me ideas and food for thought. And all your tips about how to go about an unseen presentation were much appreciated...and used! Thankfully I was not given any I.T. equipment to grapple with, just a flipchart and markers. But I did go into a blind panic when I saw the title and seriously considered just running out of the building for the first 3 minutes of my preparation time!! :o I then had two interviews, one with a panel of the existing management at the Centre and then one with a panel of staff and parents from the Centre and finally I was observed with a group of 1-2 year old children for half an hour...the best bit! I had dressed for the interview with the knowledge that I would be working with children during the morning and came out with green paint on one knee and orange on the other! xD I did happen to notice that the next candidate was very sharply dressed, far more presentable than me...I wonder how she got on in there!!

When the head of the Centre rang me to say they'd like to offer me the job, I asked if she'd rung the right person beacuse my presentation was so poor! WHY do I say these things!!! Anyway, it made her laugh so that's good!

So the Wolfie family are out for a bit of nosh and maybe the odd glass of wine too tonight! Thank you again you lovely lot for all the support and words of wisdom that I've gained from you all. :(

Well done Wolfie!

It sounds to me like the job was tailor made for you: and as you say, clearly having EYPS will enable you to apply your learning and knowledge to good effect in this role.

Gives the rest of us something to aspire to - many many congratulations!

Maz

Guest Wolfie

It was TERRIBLE! They gave me a chart detailing the staffing structure and hierarchy at the Children's Centre and I had to talk about what I saw as the advantages and disadvantages of the structure and specific examples of how I would develop relationships with other staff in my role...or something like that! You know how it all fades into a blur as soon as you walk out of the building! I really felt that my presentation was appalling!

Congratulations Wolfie, the role sounds very interesting and I am sure will be very rewarding too. The centre are obviously very good judges of character and I believe are lucky to have you. :oxD

Peggy

I really felt that my presentation was appalling!

Sounds horrendous (the subject matter, not your presentation :o ) - I know I would have struggled with that one. But clearly you did well, gave the right answers and made the right impression. If you can cope with pressure like that and do so well, then you'll be a real asset to their team and so that's presumably why they gave you the job!

Good decision, IMHO!

Many congratulations Wolfie, it was never in doubt! Enjoy your celebrations.

The presentation title sounds horrendous - it must be incredibly difficult to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of an organization without getting a feel for it first. No wonder you nearly ran out!

Guest Wolfie

I'm not sure yet! At the moment I'm on teacher's pay and conditions but the job I'm going to isn't! My current line manager is on holiday so I can't sort it out til she gets back. Strictly speaking I think I can't leave until October half term but she might have some discretion in letting me go before then if it suits everyone. The end of October seems a lifetime away! The post is a new one so they want me ASAP!

Two days later and I still can't believe I got the job! You know how you think of what you SHOULD have said to all the questions, after the event...... :o

Thank you for your best wishes everyone. xD