Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Presentation

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

I've got a job interview on Wednesday and have had some slightly scary details through today. As part of a whole morning's activities ( :o ), at 9am I get given a presentation title - and have 15 minutes to prepare before presenting to a panel at 9.15! xD

I'm just wondering, do you think they're going to be looking for a Powerpoint presentation to be prepared in that short time? I think I can cope with the idea of having 15 minutes to prepare something but if I also have to struggle with unfamiliar I.T. equipment and use my basic I.T. skills to put something together then that's VERY scary! Has anyone been faced with the same situation - and did they give you a laptop or did you just talk?? My daughter, bless her, has offered to give me a Powerpoint masterclass (which she's done before but of course I need a complete retrain!) - I'm just wondering what the likelihoood of having to do it on the day is!

I would consider that very below-the-belt and unfair, but - what's fair about life :o !!

No, I think I'd 'grumble' a bit if that is the case, but would think you'll be ok with a 'standard' presentation - says she!! :(

Good luck anyway, and do PLEASE let us know - as if you wouldn't xD

Sue

I've got a job interview on Wednesday

New job? New job? Where did that spring from? Ooh do tell, if you can...

As for the powerpoint, I would say it would be extremely unfair of them to expect you to do a powerpoint presentation in that space of time when you haven't been pre-warned of the likely title. Unless it says this is a requirement of the job for you to prepare powerpoint presentations with little notice then I think they would be on a sticky wicket if they asked you to do that as part of their recruitment process.

Is there scope for you to ring up and ask just to be on the safe side!?

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do well (and that you'll keep us posted!)

Maz

Mundia had an unprepared presentation at a recent interview, I believe. I know she was very nervous about it before hand but it was alright on the night--well day actually--and she got the job!

Could be worth PMing her, wolfie.

Good luck.

Not sure what the job is but if you are like me then I always think and do in pictures- if you are dab hand at drawing why not take along a flip chart (maybe an easel too if you have one to hand if not blu tac) and big coloured marker pens and draw your presentation?

Guest budgie1

Hi There,

When I went for my job interview a couple of months ago I had to do an "unseen presentation". I had 15 minutes to prepare and was given some marker pens and large sheets of paper. Im sure that is all they can ask for given the time constraints. Good luck, keep us posted!

I'm reasonably proficient at Powerpoint and I would find that a stuggle, I think they cannot expect it to be used in 15 minutes - the content must be more important than the method used.

Perhaps a flip chart/whiteboard if they provide one would be more useful to illustrate a point given that some of your audience may be visual or auditory 'learners'.

Could you take along your copy of relevant documents to give you something to cling to ie the EYFS. Having never done a presentation I can only use my imagination, knowing what a good imagination you have I think you'll walk it - best of luck, let us know how you get on.

I think the same as the others wolfie. They can't possibly expect you to prepare a PP presentation in 15 minutes - I think they must just be after your ability to muster your experience and knowledge, and then give it back to them. It's not a marketing/design job you're going for, is it? :o

As it is that's a tall order - but remember, with tasks like this the timescale is a deliberate factor. They will be aware of that and won't be looking for polished presentation but a demonstration that you have a good understanding of the subject. I reckon if you spend most of the time on your content and the rest of it just putting a skeleton or set of bullet points which will allow you to put that content across, you'll be fine.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

You could do a mindmap/ spider graph with arrows which will look effective. It will also put all the points in your head. what ever the title is write that in the middle and then do other points around it and keep adding as you remember. Best of luck

Guest Wolfie

Oh you lovely lot, thanks for all those hints and tips. I too had come to the decision that content will be the most important thing - and that scares me less than having to grapple with I.T. in 15 minutes!

The idea about the flip chart is a good one but I don't have one to hand - as you say, maybe they'll provide one.

I am being "deliberately quiet" about the job but promise to share after Wednesday! And Steve..no it's not a marketing and design job, you've no idea how much hilarity that suggestion has caused in the Wolfie household!! :o Not my strongest point it has to be said..... xD

I have had to do it at university but 15mins is NOT enough time even if you are good at powerpoint. I would go with the mind map idea. Much easier. Its about taking info in and scrambling it to give back to others quickly!!

Good luck

Good luck Wolfie! Can't wait to hear the details.

I completely agree with everybody I am sure that Powerpoint cannot be expected. I think you will just have to express your knowledge in a clear and concise way and maintain your cool.

Fingers crossed.