Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outstanding Criteria

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm about to finish my first year back in Reception and yes I have loved it but I would like to make a few changes for next year.

With the summer holiday spread out in front of me I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of OFSTED's criteria for 'outstanding'. Not there yet but no harm in taking a look!!

Thank you

I would too like to see the oustanding criteria!! I didn't realise there was such a thing!! Would be very interesting.

If you look on the ofsted web site you can read reports of outstanding settings, this might help? HERE.

There is an inspectors inspection book which shows what they look for in each grading I was giving a hard copy by a helpful friend I will see if I can find out where it can be downloaded from or if she can e-mail it to me.

Just out of interest, Annie, what changes are you planning for improving your practice next year? Like you I've just finished my first year back in reception, part time, after time out for maternity leave and in KS1 and I'm going back full time in September. I plan to establish a rolling snack table, set up to allow more child-initiated activities and to plan from children's interests more. also to improve our use of the outside area. I'd like to see any more guidelines for outstanding - at least it gives you something to aim for!

we got an outstanding in each area - dont know what the criteria was but inspector just kept saying she could see how well children were progressing and playing well with adult interaction when needed. I kept pushing paperwork beneath her nose but she said she could see how well we were running and if she had any doubts she would look at it then - good luck :o

Well, when we were inspected earlier this year we were inundated with praise, but no Outstanding. When asked by Director what else we needed to do to obtain Outstanding the Inspector said:

"Well, the hairs on the back of my neck need to stand up"

How very scientific!!

Sue :o

Thank you all for your posts!

Sue that did make me laugh....not sure how helpful it is or achievable though

Kaloufl and Shiny thtanks for those links. Very useful.

emmajess, next year I plan to be more flexible with the timetable, have a section in my planning that reflects where the children have taken the learning, reference e profile points to planning (in some way)! and be better at planning for play. By this I mean look at an area of provision and plan the activities which could happen there, covering all areas. This has been a challenge for me this year after years of QCA planning!!

I'm getting there though

It's ok Susan, will just be a note to remind myself to make observations and evidence for my assessment folder (for when the moderator comes in)

:o

Hi

Here's a document that my Head gave to me - I'm not sure where it's come from but we use it alot to plot where we are and look for next steps both with the Unit and for individual teacher observations.

Hope it helps.

That's really interesting, Kaloufl - I wonder where it came from? I'm going to show it to my head so she can adapt all her KS1 and KS2 observation and monitoring criteria for FS!

:o We were inspected at the end of June and it was our 1st inspection . We were told we were a strong good.

I asked what that meant and the inspector said that If we had been inspected on the old system , we would have been outstanding but she couldn't give it as it was our 1st inspection.

I was a bit annoyed(understatement !!!!) as the only recommendation we had was to put a weekly planning sheet in our entrance lobby instead of what we did by writing it on the 6ft white board in the main area of pRE-sCHOOL.

I asked what else would be needed as she said "its a very personal thing , It's the WOW factor . So I asked what that may be and she said If she could see everything she needs to see without having to ask for evidence of it (hence the bit of paper in the LObby) then she would class that as OUTSTANDING.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)