Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stupid Question...

Hello everyone!

I've got a very stupid question thats been causing me no end of stress for days, and I dont want to ask my headteacher about it because I think she'll look at me as if I've just touched down from mars.

The YPO catalogue, or any other resource catalogue for that matter - Do you have to order EVERYTHING in one go? I need to put my order in for Friday, but I don't know now what I'll need at Christmas, or for Spring!

I just wanted to know if there is usually an ongoing ordering system, where you can 'top up' on things, or buy new things if you need them?

It's a silly question I know, but I've been losing sleep over this!

Also, do you have to order first aid/cleaning supplies on your resource order?

xxx

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

As far as I'm aware, you just order whenever you need something? I certainly wouldn't be able to order for Christmas/Spring now, I'd have no idea what I'll need this far in advance!

I think that you will have to ask your HT if you have to order as one off or whether you can order again later in the new school year. I was given an annual budget and would make a large order as soon as the new school financial year kicked in. Ask for a budget then no-one elsewhere in school can spend that money. Basics were easy, and with experience it is possible to know what will always be needed. I did an audit of what was left in stocks. I kept 10% back for later in the year. I used this for extras, or emergencies, or something someone forgot, or things thrown up if someone went on a course.

As we are in a school we are given a budget after April and are given a deadline for it to be spent-this year was first week after spring bank holiday for the full year supplies.There's a real possiblity if you try to carry money forward you won't see it. Budgets are divided in amounts for classes and subjects areas.We start with a full wish list then its a matter of negotiating with subject leaders if they are willing to purchase anything on our list from their money ie new balance scales see maths co-ordinator.They have the say where the school priority is so they may say no if year 6 need new calculators!

There is an art and craft budget and a general stock budget-pens, exercise books for the whole school and 'the office' purchase basics-extras have to come from our budget.

It's usually about £200 per class which doesn't go far especially as we are only allowed to use educational suppliers YPO

It's usually about £200 per class which doesn't go far especially as we are only allowed to use educational suppliers YPO

Lol, expensive, aren't they?!

I was looking for new small world resources from them ... 40 farm animals.. 86 quid!!

I think not! I'll just get some from the pound shop next time I'm in town! :-P xxx

Thanks all for the help, I got my budget of £500 (it sounds like a lot but it's a completely new classroom so we need display stuff, posters etc as well as all the basics!)

It seems as though I'll be able to stock up on some bits and bobs later in the year, which is fab! :-)

I feel some big summer projects coming on... :-)

Guest Wolfie

Are you allowed to buy from eBay? You'll get things a lot cheaper on there, especially if you don't mind getting some things secondhand.

we place our order and then it comes in about 2 weeks time. we dont spend all our capitatin at once and then order again as and when we need things througout the year. BUT some teachers within our school spend all their capitation at once and then find they havent any cash left for things they need later in the year , its upto you. hope this helps x :o

We have a list which we add to as we run out of things and then order about once a term. But if we need things in between, we just order them as we want them. We certainly couldnt order now for next year, having a mountain of paperwork from preschool and kids on holiday, next week is a challenge at the moment.

First aid and cleaning stuff is supplied by our childrens centre management - they were a bit keen when we moved in at easter and we probably have enough antibacterial spray to see us well into 2010!! Must have thought we were going to be a grubby lot.

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
First aid and cleaning stuff is supplied by our childrens centre management - they were a bit keen when we moved in at easter and we probably have enough antibacterial spray to see us well into 2010!! Must have thought we were going to be a grubby lot.

Sally

Haha!! :-D xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)