Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paying Supply Cover

Due to various circumstances (not least all the EYFS trainings) we have had to use a lot of supply cover this year. I think they should be paid in the same way as the regular staff. We have a PAYE program, Sage, which works it all out as I understand it. BUT supply are not entered into that system, they are paid a cheque covering the sessions worked without any deductions. That is fine for those who only do supply for us - they'll not earn enough to pay tax or NI contributions I think. But what about those who also have other jobs? Is it our responsibility to contact Inland Revenue? I think they have all completed a P46 (?) but these are just filed. Should they be sent off?

Oh help it's all about to land in my lap as the treasurer has resigned but unfortuately only worked part of her notice due to one of her children becoming very ill. We didn't manage the planned handover.

Al

I think doing supply can be 'freelance' aswell as through an agency. My agency deal with all teh tax and NI, but if I went it alone I'd have to do it. I wouldnt expect the place i was working at to do it.

But I could be wrong. :o

When you do your end of year tax / paye returns there is a form for 'casual' pay personel, sorry I can't think of the No for the form possibly a P35. To cover yourself, give your local office a ring. For all 'supply' employees ensure you have a record of their full name, NI No, DOB & address. On the form you would need to state total earnings paid during a tax year period.

As I said, always best to check with your local office, doesn't hurt to contact them anyway, introduce yourself and form a 'working / advisory' relationship with them, they are in my experience always very helpful because at the end of the day if they help you during the year it makes their work easier at the end of year. :o

Peggy

so long as they have declared on P46 that this is their main or only job it is ok not to complete all thePAYE paperwork and as Peggy says there is another form to complete at end of tax year to declare not all employees have earnt over the tax and NI threshhold. You dont have to send them to Tax office , just keep them on file in case they ask for them... When they earn over the thrshold then they need ot be included in usual PAYE p11s etc.

Inge

PAYE and P46