Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Ideas

Susan

All suggestions gratefully received for a break in October at half term, please.

We dont usually do hot as Im not much good in the sun and everywhere seems so alien but would like to visit one of those warmer places which we would not normally contemplate.

The Canaries would be a good bet, I think since its obviously much warmer than at home, but not too hot (I went to Barbados for a couple of weeks once and came back just as pale as I was before I went - so I understand about not being good in the sun!).

I'm not well travelled, so I can't give you any great advice - but how lovely that you're thinking ahead to a nice warm holiday when it will be freezing at home!

Maz

well if you went to Tenerife the bird park is supposed to be spectacular, Fuertaventura the islands just lovely and sand dunes and zoo are good, Lanzaroti - lots of volcanos, and Cyprus - well i havnt seen it all yet and depends where you stay - big island!!!!

and the food at all is delicious!!!!! :(xD:o

Hi

I stayed in Paphos in Cyprus a few years a go and loved it so much we're going back again this year. It's always warm and there is loads to do, all the norm like boat trips. There's Tomb of the Kings an archealogical site, wine tasting in the Trodos mountains, jeep safaris into the national park where you can see turtle breeding sights, trips into the capital Nicosia which sould be very interesting now the Cypriat, Turkish divide has been removed, there are natural gorges to visit and Roman archeological sites with loads of mosaics! There just the things we fitted in a week! Of course there's always my favourite, a good book, the pool and a tequila sunrise!

Paphos is great because there is a good bus route right through the middle and up the coast.

Hope this is useful and I haven't raved on too much

Fluffychuffnuts :o

We went to Tenerife at Easter and thinking of going back again in October. Sunny but not too hot at these times of year.

We didn't stay in the 'tourist' areas but in a small town. We did one excursion to the waterpark, great for our children aged 5-13 yrs. The rest of the time just chilling, relaxing, eating, local bars / nightime family entertainment.

I suggest Tenerife because it is a comparatively small island with a good variety of tourist attractions but also lovely scenery, places to explore if you either hire a car or use local transport. The island is volcanic, so no congested golden beaches (well only one in the tourist resort of Los Christianos, a good place if you fancy living it up with the young at nightclubs etc.

We didn't spend time exploring the island as we didn't want to drive and wanted to stay near the apartment, but brochures etc looked very good.

Try a google and see wat you think, whether it's what you are looking for.

Peggy

p.s. The media seem to think that many Brits will be staying at home this year due to the credit crunch, don't know if this will reduce flight costs etc. I've read that camping in Britain is going to increase in popularity as the impending recession hits. :o

Don't forget what a beautiful country we live in here. We went down to Cornwall last October and spent most of the time in shorts and t-shirts it was lovely weather.

But with my tourism degree which does have its uses every now and then! I would recommend somewhere like Croatia which is meant to be a wonderful place and there would be so much to see and do. Its advertised as the place which is like the mediterranean used to be before tourism took over. If I didn't have the kids I'd make my husband take me there!

I'd need to be paid a lot of money to go camping, Peggy and even then I'd have to think very hard about it!!!

i agree with you there Susan - we went camping a couple of years ago - i have sinced vowed never to do it again!!

Malta is also well worth a look same climate as Cyprus, but we prefer the island as it is smaller and you can travel most of it by local bus very easily, (old 60s style bone shakers!) or a taxi at a reasonable price (last time the driver took us on a tour, showing us where he lived, and other sights on the way, and even bought us a local snack to try, they are very proud of thier country and friendly) Valetta is the capital and lots to see there, Mdina the silent city is beutiful and completely free of traffic, Not a lot of beaches on the Island. But snorkeling and diving very popular if that way inclined.

Also Maderia, lot to sees and a climate which stays the same all year round, tropical but not too hot. We spent a week and saw about half of the Island, Valley of the nuns is lovely with an interesting story behind the name, and the only place you can eat Black Scabbard fish apart from Japan, well worth a visit , known as the floating garden.

Inge