Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Practitioner Research/dissertation Topic

beth1

Right I have a choice of 3 topic that I am interested in and I cannot decide which one to choose. :o

My choices are:

Bi-lingual lanaguage children.

Transitions from pre-school to reception class in primary school.

schemas in pre-school.

Agghhh why do they give us free rein on the topic. I don't know what the total word count is but I know it has to be a tight focus question.

Beth

Choose something you can easily research Beth and that might be of use to you.

How easy in your current role will it be to research transition?

How would you tighten up the bilingual children topic and can you research that easily too? Do you have a lot of bilingual children in your setting?

Schema research could be easier?

Guest Wolfie

"Transitions" is a really hot topic at the moment and a lot is being written about it but, as Susan says, will you find it easy to research in your current position? Having said that, our deputy programme manager did her dissertation on transitions and it was fab and is now having an impact on our practice! She set up a lot of interviews with staff both in the Centre and schools to which our children transfer and got some really good stuff from them.

Hi Beth..

I've just done a fantastic module for my degree on Multilingual learning and found loads of excellent research and info....

BUT..I did struggle to link it in with my own experience as there are few bilingual children in my current school

Have to admit I love the sound of the transition idea - good luck with your choice!

All valid points so far, Beth.

I can only really add that I would advise you to choose something you can research within your own setting so that you can impact on your group's practice, and to choose a research question that you are genuinely interested in. It can be difficult to sustain the motivation over a long project - and if you're not really bothered about what you find out it will be twice as difficult!

Let us know what you choose, and good luck!

Maz

Thanks for the advice.

At the moment having though about it I am leaning towards transions from pre-school to school, I feel that this years school leavers haven't had much to do with the transion to school. They have had only a visit to the main local feeder school, a visit from the teachers and a home visit this week. There are a couple of children attending other schools.

I have had one other thought that our settling in transion does not get followed correctly, some of the children attend on the first day and some parents just leave without building up much time leaving their child at preschool. There is an artical about EYFS transions in this months Under 5's magaizine.

Beth

Edited by beth1

Guest Wolfie

One of the main findings of my colleague's research into transitions was that there were very comprehensive and effective transition arrangements for any children with an identified special educational need but nothing in place for all other children. At our Centre, we support a lot of families with a lot of things, not just if their child has identified needs, and we feel that information on this support, with parental agreement, should be shared with the parent support advisors at the schools to which the children transfer so that the support continues if appropriate.

If you want, I'll ask her for more details of the reading, etc. that she did?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)