Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Worried About Year2 Foundation Degree!

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new on here, and this is the first time I have posted.

I currently work as the deputy superviser in a Day Nursery, which is part of Castle College, Nottingham.

I have just completed my first year on the foundation degree, and have loved every minute of it, although it is hard work! I am due to begining my second year in September.

I don't really know why i'm posting this, probally because I am just mad, miserable, angry... (my list could go on and on) :o because two days before we were due to break up for the summer we were told that the college will not re-open any of its three nurseries in september, and that 20 staff are to be made redundant!

Im worried how this will effect my completion of my degree! I couldn't even start a new job until september as i am still under contract til the 31st August, leaving before that would mean I lose my redundancy payout- however small it would be!

Sorry to moan, it just helps to get it off your chest. I will have to stop now or I could rant for hours! LOL!

If any is looking for staff in Nottingham.....I am avaliable from 1st September!

Best Wishes, Mandy

Hello mandelee and welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry to hear your news, it must be very worrying for you. I would suggest talking to your training provider asap about your situation and the fact that you still want to continue with your degree. Hopefully you can find a place for September. I am pretty sure, but don't quote me, that any employer has to enable paid time of for job searching if they have issued redundancy notices. This hopefully will giv you a chance to look and plan for September employment.

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and now you've found us, any time you feel like a rant or want to share good news when things work out for you in the future then we are all here. :o

Peggy

Guest Wolfie

Hi Mandy! I'm so sorry to hear your news - as Hali says, I'm sure that your college will understand and be sympathetic to your circumstances. Best of luck with finding a new position. My niece-in-law (??) works at a Children's Centre in Nottingham, I'll ask her if she's heard of anything.....

sorry to hear your news too, it must be a worrying tme for you...............................as Peggy says, though, you ARE entitled to time off, with pay, to look for new employment and/or attend interviews.I'm sure your college will be sympathetic about the situation too, so try not to worry, just get job seeking! Good luck with it

Welcome to the Forum, Mandy - I'm sorry to hear your news.

Peggy's right - if you're being made redundant you are legally entitled to time off to attend interviews.

Have you had your redundancy notice yet? It should all be detailed on the paperwork.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Maz

Hi Mandy and a big welcome from me too. I was sorry to read your news, what a bombshell! I echo all the previous posts and wanted to add a positive thought (must be cos its not 8am yet and I'm upbeat!)

I think potential employers out there would see your degree course on your cv as showing a deep understanding of, and real commitment to early years work and would view your application highly. Expect those calls to interview to roll in!

God bless

Hi Mandy

I also got made redundant from a school whilst studying for my foundation degree. Uni was very sympathetic but said that i needed to work with children for so many hours a week this could be in a voluntary role to continue studying. I think it was for 15 hours a week. This was back in 2004 so things may have changed.

I remember feeling very confused about what i was going to do. I was also employed by the LEA until the 31st August. You are allowed time off for interviews etc. but you have to be careful so it does not affect your redundancy pay.

It all worked at very well for me in the end and i completed my foundation degree then BA(Hons) and bought the nursery that i worked in.

Hope it all works out for you and good luck

Alison

Hi, welcome and sorry to hear your news, I have just finished the foundation degree and during the time I changed job - there was a worry like yours of not being in employment and the college were very supportive just in case that happened, they even suggested that if I were 'jobless' I would be able to volunteer locally for a while until something turned up - not ideal I know but it was an option - I am sure they will help you any way they can, after all they want to hold on to all of us trying to meet new government targets and they all have funding to do so, good luck. :o

Make use of the forum for support throughout your journey, it certainly helps to share your problems and celebrate your next job! xD:(

Thankyou everyone for your kind words. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, i've just got back from holiday.

Not much has really changed for me since ive been away. I meet HR on friday. But I am feeling alot more positive!

Really glad I found this forum!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)