Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs

Hi I do hope soemone will be able to help me with this question in the guidance for eyfs it says you must have a paediatric first aider I work in a primary school that has 3 first aiders am i covered or does anyone know of any training for this? i hope someone can help me

Page 26 of the EYFS Statutory Framework (May 2008 version) says:-

"At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present. There must be at least one person on outings who has a

current paediatric first aid certificate. First aid training must be approved by the local authority and consistent with guidance set out in the Practice Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage."

The guidance is quite specific about suitable paediatric first aid courses: the list of things that need to be covered on the course is long but it is important that the course must be 12 hours' duration, certificated and must be renewed every three years.

Have your current first aiders attended a full 12 hour course? I thought I had heard somewhere that first aiders in school only have to do a shorter course, but I may be wrong.

I couldn't find anywhere in the documentation where it said that schools would have different requirements, so I'm assuming that schools will be treated the same as pre-schools for the purposes of first aid cover.

Maz

The main named first aider in school has had to go on 12 hour/2 day paedatric first aid course as well as already having a current first aid certificate.Because she works elsewhere in school and a paedatric first aider would be required to go on any EYFS trips and outings the foundation stage co-ordinator (ex-nurse) has also done it.

Several of our TA's have gone on the paediatric first aid course this month ready to be compliant by September. One of our nursery teachers has already done it. You will need to have at least one of your EY staff qualified. This has to be done in addition to the four day first aid course.

Guest Wolfie

Wherever I've worked, the attitude has always been that all staff should have a first aid qualification because it's such a crucial skill - and then you have no worries about whether you're complying with requirements or not.

I know it has money and cover implications when staff are out on training but, personally, I think all staff caring for children should have comprehensive knowledge and skills in that area.

Edited by Wolfie

I agree with Wolfie, all of our staff have been on the FA training. If I were ever faced with a situation, I would feel more confident having the backup of a colleague to check with, and who might be able to act if I were unable for any reason and vice versa.

As always cost is a factor.

The 3 people have been on the 12 hour first aid course we all have had epipen,epilepsy and asthma training.

Are any of the three people working directly with children in the EYFS, Jo? If not, you may have a problem. It might be a technicality though: best check with your LA!

Maz

Several of our TA's have gone on the paediatric first aid course this month ready to be compliant by September. One of our nursery teachers has already done it. You will need to have at least one of your EY staff qualified. This has to be done in addition to the four day first aid course.

Our TAs have all done the First Aid course, which lasted four days. What is the other thing they have to do in addition?

Our TAs have all done the First Aid course, which lasted four days. What is the other thing they have to do in addition?

I'm not sure whether the course you're referring to is the 12 hour paediatric first aid course, but here is the criteria for effective first aid training from the May 2008 Practice Guidance document:-

Criteria for effective paediatric first aid training

In order to meet the requirements of the EYFS, paediatric first aid courses must be approved by the local authority in whose area the early years provision is located, and must meet the following criteria:

1 Training is designed for workers caring for children in the absence of their parents.

2 The training leading to a certificate or a renewal certificate is a minimum of 12 hours.

3 The first aid certificate should be renewed every three years.

4 Resuscitation and other equipment includes baby and junior models, as appropriate.

5 Training covers appropriate contents of a first aid box.

6 Training should include recording accidents and incidents.

7 Training should be appropriate to the age of the children being cared for.

8 The course covers the following areas:

8.1 Planning for first aid emergencies.

8.2 Dealing with emergencies.

8.3 Resuscitation procedures appropriate to the age of children being cared for.

8.4 Recognising and dealing with shock.

8.5 Recognising and responding appropriately to anaphylactic shock.

8.6 Recognising and responding appropriately to electric shock.

8.7 Recognising and responding appropriately to bleeding.

8.8 Responding appropriately to burns and scalds.

8.9 Responding appropriately to choking.

8.10 Responding appropriately to suspected fractures.

8.11 Responding appropriately to head, neck and back injuries.

8.12 Recognising and responding appropriately to cases of poisoning.

8.13 Responding appropriately to foreign bodies in eyes, ears and noses.

8.14 Responding appropriately to eye injuries.

8.15 Responding appropriately to bites and stings.

8.16 Responding appropriately to the effects of extreme heat and cold.

8.17 Responding appropriately to febrile convulsions.

8.18 Recognising and responding appropriately to the emergency needs of children with chronic medical conditions, including epilepsy, asthma, sickle cell anaemia, diabetes.

8.19 Recognising and responding appropriately to meningitis and other serious sudden illnesses.

The second criteria raises an issue for me as we have our LA positively pushing a renewal course which is much shorter than 12 hours. We have been told it is suitable as long as the last certificate is still in date and was issued after completing a 12 hour course. The above seems to say even the renewal needs to be 12 hours which is a blow to myself and manager as we were hoping to be able to do the shorter refresher course next year. Thank you for posting. I will ask them to double check this now.

The second criteria raises an issue for me as we have our LA positively pushing a renewal course which is much shorter than 12 hours. We have been told it is suitable as long as the last certificate is still in date and was issued after completing a 12 hour course. The above seems to say even the renewal needs to be 12 hours which is a blow to myself and manager as we were hoping to be able to do the shorter refresher course next year. Thank you for posting. I will ask them to double check this now.

Thank you all for your help i will check with the LA advisor if not i will have to find suitable courses for my staff thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)