Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps

Most of our parents don't even know we have a qualification! "You just need to keep them busy, don't you?" Others do think we are paid a fortune but think anyone can do it, especially if they have managed to raise a child to the age of 2 years without major incident. Even my management committee to whom I explained why I was doing EYPS and what it was, don't understand it or see the need for it. Well except that I attracted some funding so their children could enjoy some different activities and events they knew we wouldn't have the money for otherwise.

Nothing like being optimistic eh,

"There are currently more than 1,700 Early Years Professionals across the country - a good step towards the Government's aim of having an Early Years Professional in every early years setting by 2015, a target that's welcomed by parents."

Statistics for 2006 show that there were 23,000 settings in England, (full day care & sessional) so only 21,300 more EYPS's to qualify within 7 yrs, that's only 3043 per year. I wouldn't exactly call that a 'good step towards Governments aim' :(

Now I wonder what the survey results would have been if it also included the requirement for parents to pay more fees to enable these 'graduates' to earn more than just above the minimum wage? Would 7 out of 10 parents want to, or be able to do that?

It really makes me cross when 'research' is so useless, there are very many good researchers out there (all graduates do research dissertations) but they are just really the pied pipers goffers, because whoever pays for the research dictates what results it should show. :o

Talk about blow your own trumpet CWDC :(:(xD

Peggy

Talk about blow your own trumpet CWDC :(:(:o

Oh don't sit on the fence Peggy: tell us how you really feel! xD

I likened the article to whistling in the dark to make yourself brave! I suppose blowing your own trumpet in the dark would have the same effect! :(

Like you, I'd like to see the research questions they asked and to know how big the sample is - we all know that research questions can almost guarantee a favourable answer. For me it asks more questions than it answers - and I'm committed to gaining EYP status next term!

Maz

Oh don't sit on the fence Peggy: tell us how you really feel! :(

I likened the article to whistling in the dark to make yourself brave! I suppose blowing your own trumpet in the dark would have the same effect! :(

Like you, I'd like to see the research questions they asked and to know how big the sample is - we all know that research questions can almost guarantee a favourable answer. For me it asks more questions than it answers - and I'm committed to gaining EYP status next term!

Maz

Good luck with your EYP journey, Maz, My own personal motivation to attend / participate in continued professional development is based on the following, the study should;

1/ interests me

2/ broaden my knowledge and skills

3/ keep the ol grey cells from ceasing up

4/ enables debate amongst like minded professionals

5/ self pride

6/ raised status

7/ enables excuses to avoid housework

8/ time off from the workplace (very tongue in cheek :( )

9/ a reason to celebrate on completion

and last but not least

10/ more earning potential

hmm, my motivation for CPD doesn't include a social responsibility to help 'government meet targets' or to justify / prove with a paper qualification my ability and skills to parents / Ofsted / Government. (meaning I am interested enough in my profession to self study ). Which is maybe why I haven't done any 'formal' study for 10 yrs. xD

but then again I've been my own boss for the last 10 yrs......and earnt less than minimum wage. :o

Peggy

What an interesting list, Peggy! I particularly like number 7 which is a good enough reason for undertaking any activity, in my opinion. :o

What an interesting list, Peggy! I particularly like number 7 which is a good enough reason for undertaking any activity, in my opinion. :o

xD , thought you'd like that one.

Peggy

Seriously though, Peggy, I have been giving your list some thought and I think EYPS qualifies on all counts - a vacancy for an EYP in Sussex has just been advertised on the EYPSf with a salary of up to £26,000 for a 37.5 hour week over 40 weeks of the year. Has given me pause for thought: certainly more than I will ever earn owning my own nursery...

Honestly helping the Government meet its targets (whether or not you agree with the Government policy xD ) or prove things to parents doesn't come into it: however raising standards for the children I care for is very much part of my drive to learn more and research more - as well as to prove to myself that I'm not entirely useless... :o

Maz

Peggy your list is oh so right as well as the "I will make my husband look after the children for some of the time" point which I think you missed out!!

I do agree that part of the want to do the learning is for self worth which money just cannot buy.

None of my parents have heard of EYPS most looked mystified when I say Early Years Foundation Stage and some haven't got to grips with just Foundation Stage and prefer "infants" or "nursery" in fact our chair of governors asked me what EYFS was and why did I think it was important my new (maternity cover) nursery nurse should know about it. Incidentally out of 21 applicants only one mentioned EYFS in their application...

Seriously though, Peggy, I have been giving your list some thought and I think EYPS qualifies on all counts - a vacancy for an EYP in Sussex has just been advertised on the EYPSf with a salary of up to £26,000 for a 37.5 hour week over 40 weeks of the year. Has given me pause for thought: certainly more than I will ever earn owning my own nursery...

Honestly helping the Government meet its targets (whether or not you agree with the Government policy xD ) or prove things to parents doesn't come into it: however raising standards for the children I care for is very much part of my drive to learn more and research more - as well as to prove to myself that I'm not entirely useless... :o

Maz

Can I ask what the position was for Maz? It's just my feeling that new EYP's will move away from the smaller sessional/full day care settings to earn such salaries in childrens centre's, as advisors etc. NOT that I don't think these positions are worthy of such calibre leaders and such rates of pay, but what will happen to the small businesses? By the way I wholly agree it's all worthwhile if it does raise the standards for the children. :(

Peggy

Peggy your list is oh so right as well as the "I will make my husband look after the children for some of the time" point which I think you missed out!!

I do agree that part of the want to do the learning is for self worth which money just cannot buy.

I didn't miss out the hubby bit because mine does all the 'home' stuff anyway. :o but feel free to add that to your list. xD

Peggy

Can I ask what the position was for Maz? It's just my feeling that new EYP's will move away from the smaller sessional/full day care settings to earn such salaries in childrens centre's, as advisors etc. NOT that I don't think these positions are worthy of such calibre leaders and such rates of pay, but what will happen to the small businesses? By the way I wholly agree it's all worthwhile if it does raise the standards for the children. :o

Its a nursery leader for a unit catering for children with disabilities, complex needs and no additional needs - for the NHS. EYPS (or willingnes to gain the status) is in the desirable criteria.

So a hands on managerial job leading a small team of 'nursery nurses and childcare workers".

If I lived nearer I'd be tempted to apply just to see what happens!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)