Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Appreciated

Hi, I am back- been REALLY ILL, feel I have missed out on loads... very big sigh! I have bronchitis and tonsillitis and to top it all, I have an infection in my stomach that won't go away! So lying in bed at home trying not to think about all that I am missing. Then I though of all of you on the forum and thought you could cheer me up.

I want to do a learning journey next term about time travel, but being only 4/5 this is a very difficult concept - so I thought i would start with ourselves, then us as babies, then parents, grandparents and then pretend to travel back in time further with our teddy bears and see the dinosaurs... some lovely books suitable for this age group on dinosaurs. However, I want to link this all together in a scenario. I think using the idea of teddy travelling in time is great but I want it to be really exciting and something the children can relate to... I know I am nearly there, but does anyone have a fantastic way I could link all this together?

I am hoping to get back to school before the end of term - i am trying to rest and do nothing - doctors orders - but it is very difficult to do when you feel you are missing out.

Thank you in advance to all of you

Hi Suzybell, sorry to hear you are poorly but see that although your body is not willing, your mind thinks on..... :(

Your ideas sound fun, as you say time travel is a difficult concept fr young children. You have ideas for long ago, and for travel but it's how to link them with time.......How about working on PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE, maybe have a section of the setting 'set up' for each 'time', then the children could physically, in their play become 'time travellers' themselves.

They could

PAST - play with babies (dolls or baby visitors), look at memory books made up from their past experiences etc

PRESENT - mat area, what we did today chats, plan-do-revue type activities

FUTURE - wide open to imagination (childrens) of what this area will look like

I think that dinosaurs may be seen as present day to children as they are known to them as present day toys. :oxD

It's difficult to convey non - concrete concpts isn't it.

Hope this helps

Peggy

Not sure this is totally helpful but our children are totally entranced by Dr Who at the moment. (Spent most of the morning making bands to go around their heads with a loo roll protruding forward - you guessed it, daleks!!). Could you get a big box and have the children help you make it into the tardis as a starting point?

Thank you - I can't swallow at the moment so feeling really low, it is good to have some ideas- thank you so much- keep them coming ... wonderful!

Hope you feel up to strength soon Suzybell.

Sounds like a good topic. My boys both love Dr Who so that could be a winner. Junk modelling a tardis or time travel machine could be great fun. Travelling through space you could then land on the moon (walking on the moon, are there aliens out there what would they look like) on the way back to see the dinosaurs you might come across a volcano get some bicarbonate of soda out!! Write a group picture story of what happens. Draw time maps.

I think the ideas could keep coming but I really need to go to bed!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)