Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Breakfast Club

Hi there

Our school currently runs a breakfast club for R-Yr 6 children from 8 - 8.50 am. There is some confusion depending on who you talk to about whether they will need staffing ratios/ qualifications as stated in EYFS as they have Reception aged children attending... Any words of wisdom out there?! also the after school club, run independently of the school but catering for our children, takes the same aged children as breakfast club... do they fall into the same situation. Funding additional adults with qualifications is not an option at the moment. When nursery starts the flexible hours we may offer breakfast club but could this be as part of the main club or does it have to be entirely separate? Sorry a bit late in the day for all these questions. Hope someone can help

Thank you

I'm not certain here, but I would have thought that if the breakfast club is out of school hours (which, clearly it is), then you need the ratios to be for EYFS.............1:8 for the younger children, and similarly, for after school.That said, our local breakfast/out of school club seems to have an awful lot of children per staff member, and they DON'T run on the school premises.I often see one person picking up anything up to 11 children, many of whom are from reception class.When I queried this,I was told it was legal................

On balance, I think I'd call Ofsted for clarification,'cos I think i've just added to the confusion!

Sounds to me that your after school club is not being run correctly narnia.

we have to offer the key componenets of EYFS, plan in line with it, use key workers, etc, in our after school club. I will ask if our breakfast club will be doing it as it is run by another individual, (and i must say often is run in the same way as described by narnia bc they have no ofsted worries!)

don't really know if this helps either, i just know what we have to do as an ofsted registered setting.

Lucie x

Our local after school club has had to comply with eyfs if they take reception children.. it is taking time to do, they have had an adviser in who said they have to do the obs, and books etc.. (these children have been as school all day and all they want is a rest.. not be bombarded with more)... ..another local club has just changed to avoid this and will not take children of this age anymore!

Inge

• 4 weeks later...
disclaimer: it is NOT 'my' breakfast club.................I wouldn't let them look after my dog(not that I have a dog, but if I did........) :oxD:(

I think you're hedging your bets here, narnia: why not tell us how you really feel? :(

Woof!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)