Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C15.3

has any one clompleted this unti using case studies im struggling with covering the pcs for c15.3 any help would be great

lynda

hi Lynddam,

welcome aboard, you've now made your first post!

Unfortunately I cant help you, you may as well be speaking a foreign languge but there may be someone else who can although it has been very, very quiet here in last few weeks, I think most folks are on holiday and offline, certainly not in here antway! :o

Hopefully someone will be along sooner or later though, so hope you've plenty of time.

Good luck.

Hi Lynddam -

Thanks for your first post and welcome in!

Helen's got some quite firm answers on this for you. She's not around today but will be online tomorrow I think - certainly Monday anyway! :)

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to the site, and thanks for making your first post. The lack of responses is due to everyone scooting off on holiday in the last week or so, and I apologise for not responding sooner, myself :)

I did my NVQ a few years back, and I've just dug out my file, etc. so that I could give you some help. The first obvious thing, is that for this section, child-related activities are clearly not appropriate, so your evidence will need to be a reflective account of some sort, the documents and policies from your setting, or questioning by your assessor.

I covered this section by describing what we did in our setting, ie the procedures we have put in place should the need arise.

If a child arrives at nursery with an injury (not a bump/scratch on the knee, but something more substantial. eg marks to the face/black eye/broken collar bone....we have had all three at least once!) we record the details in our nursery "Care Diary", giving the date, the child's name and the observed injury. On many occasions we ask the parent (or the child in front of the parent)in an unthreatening way, "Oh dear, you've hurt your X, how did that happen?" The child or parent then responds, and we write that response into the care diary too. It's important that parents and children do not feel that they need to be defensive. I have found that most parents willingly say on arrival what has happened, without even being asked. If the injury gave us cause for concern, we would probably include diagrams, too. We have to be clear to distinguish between directly observed evidence and information from other sources. For example, if an injury is noted by another member of staff, I have to question them to get an accurate record of what they said, what the parent or child said, and what the observed injuries are, and not the intepretation of all these made the member of staff.

If we receive requests from designated professionals for any information regarding the possible abuse of a child, we give a copy of the diary entry to them immediately.

The care diary is of course a confidential document and is only shared between me (nursery manager), the nursery supervisor, any member of staff directly invloved with the child, and any outside professional involved.

Up until now, of course, I've only talked about the physical injuries signs of abuse, and you also need to consider sexual abuse, neglect, and emotional abuse. In your answers to C15.1, you will probably have made a list of symptoms of possible abuse for each of these categories. If not, get back to me, and I'll help out there.

You need to include somewhere the contact details for your local social services department with whom you/your manager would make contact in the event of suspected abuse. How do you report suspicions in your setting? To your line manager directly? What happens then? Where is it recorded, and at what point do you/your manager decide that outside agencies need to be contacted? Is it the severity of the injury, or the response/lack of credible response from the parents?

You could make up a case study, and use this to show how you would proceed, eg

"A two year old boy arrives at your setting, filthy, hungry, and wearing the same nappy and clothes you sent him home in the previous day. His mother delivered him to the setting as quickly as possible, and left without word with her three other school-age children. The child does not make eye contact with you, nor speak for the entire session."

What would you do?

I hope this is the kind of help you were looking for, Lynda :o Do get back to us with your thoughts, and we'll carry on from there :D

thanks for putting all in english helen what you said help me see it more clear assessor has signed it of for me today

lynda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)