Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funding

Susan

Not sure where to put this, but thought theres lots of traffic here so maybe someone can clarify something re funding for me?

We have had a rather agitated phone call today from one of our feeder preschools, saying that they do 100s of observations to get their funding and unless we do the same, which we dont and carry them on we wont get funding?

We can only assume that they are in a roundabout way asking us what transfer info we need.

Anyone got any other ideas?

hmm, does seem confusing. :o

There are 'delegated conditions' which LA's set as requirements for getting funding, and I think these differ throughout the country, and I'm not sure how or if the 'conditions' such as practical work, (compared to admin conditions) are monitored as 'being done or not'. So they may be referring to conditions to ensure curriculum is followed, which encompasses doing observations. xD How this affects you as a school, I don't know. :(

The only other thing I can think of is the requirements of EYFS to work in partnership with other settings but this isn't, as you know, until September, and doesn't relate to funding. :(

Plus schools funding is different to preschool.

I'm not even sure how you've linked it to transfer info.

So, I'm stumped.

Do let us know if you find out. :wacko:

ooh, and I'm a bit sad to hear that they feel they HAVE to do observations to get funding and not do them just for the benefit of the children. :( (but that is me reading between the lines and of course may be totally wrong in my assumption)

Peggy

That is a puzzle Susan. Do they feed into other schools and, if so, have they had the same phone call? We feed into 6 schools and a variety of nurseries and I wouldn't presume to tell them how many observations they should be doing-as I wouldn't expect them to tell me either. And how do they know how many observations you do and that you won't get funding?

I know some settings get very agitated when they feel that they are doing loads of work and they have this notion they are the only ones doing it. And some settings do make a lot of unnecessary work for themselves.

No answer really-perhaps somebody should call them back and ask them to clarify what they mean.

Linda

ooh, and I'm a bit sad to hear that they feel they HAVE to do observations to get funding and not do them just for the benefit of the children. xD (but that is me reading between the lines and of course may be totally wrong in my assumption)

Well if that's the case then I made the same assumption, Peggy - its nice to be in such esteemed company :o

We know very well that most Reception/Year one teachers won't have time to read all the observations we do of our children - but that's not really the point of observing children is it? The school gets the information they need, and the parents get to keep their observations.

I don't really know what to say to you Susan: it sounds as if whoever called you was having a bit of a rant! Was this a message or did you talk to the person? If it was the former, I'd pick a nice calm time in your day (does such a thing exist?) with a cup of tea to hand and ring back and find out. Perhaps she'll be in a better frame of mind the next time!

Let us know how you get on won't you - I'm very intrigued to see what she's talking about...

Maz

Why are they concerned you wont get funding?? That method is different to schools for obtaining funding and this makes it a bit of an odd statement to make..

Are they losing a lot of children and seem to think if you believe you cannot get funding will keep some?? I know an odd way of thinking its just throwing ideas into the pot..

We too have no link with funding and observations... tons of other stuff but not that.. (must admit i thought same as Peggy)

Inge

It was a message but we followed it up and that seems to be the essence of the conversation although I didnt have it! Im confused too, thought I'd see if I'd misunderstood something somewhere but you cant make sense of this either so someone somewhere is in a tizzy, it seems!

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like something has got lost in translation.I would follow it up with a fresh clarification phone call or better still a face to face meeting to see what both settings are doing.Use it to build some bridges and forge a stronger relationship for the future.