Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Smartie Maths

Hiya just thought i would share a sucessful activity with you (putting off doing bibliography for last assignment got to be in tomorrow!!) xD

Cant remember where I saw the idea :o but basically I gave children a samll box of smarties in a small group and i was able to work wonders with them!! They counted,they estimated, they sorted colours they talked about more than and less than and the most and the least amount. They were queing up :( obviuosly dont encourage eating sweets but for a one off activity and treat for the end of the year BRILL!!

Andrea

and I see from TV adverts the blue ones are back with no additives. YIPPEE. xD:(

and how sad is that little blue smartie when all his friends run away and won't play with him? :o

Talking of little boxes of Smarties, one of my favourite activities ever was sending all the children home with a box each the day before half term and their challenge was to refill it with as many different items as possible and I put up a little prize for the child with the most things returned in the box.

The rules were every item inside had to be different so the little lad who came back with it full of grains of rice was fed up he didn't win (his mum should have read the instruction sheet I sent home with each box!!!!) but you would be amazed who much you can fit in.

Good spatial awareness, problem solving and great fun eating the Smarties.

Sue

The rules were every item inside had to be different so the little lad who came back with it full of grains of rice was fed up he didn't win (his mum should have read the instruction sheet I sent home with each box!!!!) but you would be amazed who much you can fit in.

Fab. I'm going to use this as a competition for our sports day! I have approximately 30 children, sports day will be at the end of term. So that's about ten tubes of smarties I can eat a week until then.

Or do I have to give them to the children filled with smarties? :o

I remember doing that in Brownies once :o

Did you ever play 'tip', Andrea?

It also involves a tube of smarties, but I can't for the life of me remember how it is played. My Brownies loved it - especially since whether you win or lose you get to share the smarties out equally amongst your six... xD

Maybe if you drop big hints someone near you will buy you your own tube of smarties :o

I shall add an extra tube for each staff member and give a prize for them too! And if I should slightly miscalculate, have too many tubes and have to eat extra smarties myself, then I consider that an onerous responsibility but one that I shall gladly take in order to save everyone else's waistlines... xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)