Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enhanced Crb Checks

sandie

I am just reviewing some of our pre school policies and would like some advice please!

when appointing a new member of staff is it necessary to obtain a crb disclosure BEFORE they start work? I appreciate that they would not be allowed unsupervised access to children until they have this, as is the case with volunteers and helpers.

thank you sandie

Our policy is that non-CRB checked people don't have unsupervised access to children or provide intimate care until their CRBs have been received. However we don't wait for them to get their checks before they start work - as you say just as with volunteers and helpers!

Maz

Our policy was the same as HappyMaz but recently we employed a member of staff and went through the process of applying for her CRB (she did have a previous one )only to come up with one excuse another from the person in question about her evidence for it. She went on sickleave and eventually sisnt come back. Now the committee and I feel that a CRB should be obtained as far as possible before they start. Generally we have found they dont take too long anyway. We are a committee run group and I am sure I have read somewhere that we have to obtain CRB checks for members before they join the committee which is going to be quite difficult.

smiles

We apply for the CRB check as soon as we possibly can. If this means that the person has to start work without it then so be it, however like everyone else that person will not have unsupervised access to the children. It can be very restricting on the setting but I don't think there is a lot you can do about it.

I have recently sent off 5 new CRB forms and I never want to see another one for a long time. Why can't people read them properly and fill them in correctly :( , they have driven me insane and at one point I felt like throwing myself under a bus!!!! :o but instead I had a bottle of wine! xD

they have driven me insane and at one point I felt like throwing myself under a bus!!!! :o but instead I had a bottle of wine! xD

I always choose the bottle of wine option too - I am allergic to pain, so the bus is not an option at all. :(

I support settings and I always encourage them to wait until the CRB check has been received before starting a member of staff because supervised or not if that enhanced CRB comes back with something on it how would you feel and what position does that put you in as an employer.

However ultimately OFSTED say that if the person is supervised until their enhnaced CRB is received then that is satisfactory plus you will have other procedures in place such as induction.

I understand the difficulty with long waits for clearance and the high demand for staff as I work with a lot of settings but I try and highlight that ultimately its the children's safety that needs to come first.

paula x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)