Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Woodwork At Last

womble

finally - I've got to do woodwork with the children and it'has been fantastic. A queue of girls waitning to do it which I wasn't expecting and children all really into it. One member of staff has serious concerns still but most others are happy about it now. Next step - let the children access it as continuos provision. :

I've recently been in a nursery where the work bench along with goggles is available all the time. No adults sit near, although they know whos accessing it, it was fab, so child led.

Hope your staff member soon settles down. :o

Hi All - when the woodwork is planned in "Free flow" - what age ranges are the children involved.

As we are mixed with 2 - 4 years old, our setting guards the scissors !!! xD what are you thoughts, and how do you all manage safety with mixed age groups.

Dot :o

Hi All - when the woodwork is planned in "Free flow" - what age ranges are the children involved.

As we are mixed with 2 - 4 years old, our setting guards the scissors !!! xD what are you thoughts, and how do you all manage safety with mixed age groups.

Dot :o

I have never done the woodwork thing so can't comment. However, scissors were freely available in my setting (ages 2 1/2+) and there was not a single injury from this in the entire time I was there. :(

finally - I've got to do woodwork with the children and it'has been fantastic. A queue of girls waitning to do it which I wasn't expecting and children all really into it. One member of staff has serious concerns still but most others are happy about it now. Next step - let the children access it as continuos provision. :

Hi Womble

I'm interested in this: it is on my 'mental' to do list. Can you tell me what equipment you used (ie what sort of bench etc)?

Am loving the idea of girls queueing up to do woodwork. I remember on a trip to Pen Green watching the smallest girl with the biggest saw you ever... saw(!) completely unnoticed by everyone and she was so competent. She knew exactly what she was doing, needed no supervision or guidance. Just fab.

Maz

Hi Beau - our scissors are at our craft table where there is generally an adult present to support - when adult goes from table scissors are put out of reach - we should all just relex and teach the children how to use them safely (this is my view) ? and relax :o -

Hi we have scissors at the craft workshop, writing area and outside. Children use them really well, they were cutting the grass today with them.

Let them have a go they can do it - they can really do little damage with pre-school scissors tehy are not sharp.

( we only have 1 hair dresser, but mum is relaxed. I just worry when she is under the table with a friend. It'll grow back though).

Hi Tess - thanks for the reply - had a laugh about the hairdresser, my own daughter had a great time cutting her hair with nail scissors just in time to start school and ready for the class photo - I love the picture and has pride of place on my bedroom wall (she hates it) Dot :o

I, like Maz, am very interested in this area. It's definately something I would like to do in September. Does anyone have a list of equipment etc. Or any photos I could look at to get some inspiration?

Thank you so much in advance! xx