Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sound Phase Assessment

Hi all

For your letters and sounds assessment how do you fill in the sheet where you show which phase children are on. Do you simple put the date next to the phase when it has been achieved or do you to assessment every few weeks and mark where each child is at this point? hope that makes sense................not sure it does!!

Hi

We started the year having a sheet for each child and highlighting which aspects of the phases the child was showing they were able to do. We use a system of different colours for each term (blue highlighter for on entry, pink autumn etc) so we didn't exactly date it but we knew roughly when they became confident with the different points. But to be honest it tapered off as the year went on. It'll be good to see what others do when I think about how we are going to try and use these sheets next year. Linking to your other post on transition - my Y1 teachers have asked for these sheets to help them plan their phonics groups for next year.

Forgot to say - we don't do mini assessments, we just mark them off as and when we feel they are demonstrate that they can do the points on the list.

I started the year trying to keep records on each individual child and date when they could do each of the bullet points at the end of each phase. What a ridiculous idea! I think I kept it up for about 5 weeks. Now I just fill in a tracking sheet at the end of each half term with their initials to say where they are up to.

Hi, I have a whole class tick sheet - and individually go through each child what they know - very quick showing flash cards for sounds and words, writing on whiteboards for words. I do this roughly once a term. It actually doesn't take that long - maybe a day for a class of 30 - which is better than the maths and reading assessments I do. The Year 2 teacher my Y1s are going to, has said how helpul this is, so she can group the children next year. Tried to assess as a whole class, but its hard when so many children copy as they hate to be wrong!

I will check where I got it from, as I think it maybe from the letters and sounds planning I bought from someone from the TES website. Will check this weekend. If it isn't then I'll put it up on here, if there isn't anything in the resources that matches - or I may even try to make one similar.

Sorry editing after checking the resources. Mine is similar, but in slightly more detail. Will definitely check, and either put that up, or my own.

Edited by JemilyJones

The sheet I use is the same as Tracylu's- only I have a column for each half term so I update it roughly every 6 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
We use this one to show which phase the children have completed successfully as opposed to the one they are currently working in now (so the names in phase 3 are the children who are secure at 3 and now working in 4.

Hi

Just to let you know that the strategy changed phase 3 last year. Before it was split into 3 parts i,ii & iii. Whereas now phase 3 is altogether. Which means that the tracking sheet (although perfectly fine!) is now out of date. I have devised a similar one that also splits your data into boys and girls if this is any use. Our authority has been part of the CLLD programme for 2 years now and the schools that have been using the tracking sheets have really found them useful.

Phonics_Progress_Tracking_Sheet.doc

In relation to assessing phase 1, I don't see that you would need to be using flash cards of graphemes or words etc as the whole focus is on aural/oral discrimination and even strand 7 is about oral blending and segmenting. The information you need to make the assessments is from your observations of children's responses over time, can they discriminate sounds around them and hear the different sounds in words. I don't feel it requires "sit - down" assessments that are scheduled! OFcourse children will know some significant letters i.e. their names or the like but they don't need to have phoneme grapheme correspondence as part of phase 1. That comes within phase 2 - a good start in phase 2 comes from the focus on the skills in phase 1 in the pre reception learning.

There may be the current clld phonics phase tracker on the clld website. There is no split in phase 3 now.

(ps we are also a CLLD LA)

Cx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry for the delay in responding - I move in two days, so that and the end of term has made it rather manic here. The assessment I use I bought, so feel would breach copyright to put up here, but basically it took every aspect of the phases as an individual tick box - so for phase 2 and 3, each new word, or sound the children had to know was in its own box. This made it easy for me to identify anyone who had missed gaps.

Once I have moved I'll have a look at doing my own version of this, if people are interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I use this and and just date it when the children have acieved it, i have three copies for ability groups 1 for low/medium and high, as the children will be at different stagesfollowing different aspects. I think i got the statements off here somwhere (not sure where) and just adapted it into a class grid format.

Letters_and_Sounds_Progression_of_skills.doc

Letters_and_Sounds_Assessment_tracking_sheet_1_.doc

• 2 weeks later...
I use this and and just date it when the children have acieved it, i have three copies for ability groups 1 for low/medium and high, as the children will be at different stagesfollowing different aspects. I think i got the statements off here somwhere (not sure where) and just adapted it into a class grid format.

Hi, I would just like to thank you for your contribution. This will help me a great deal. Lindsey - new member as from today.

Hi, I would just like to thank you for your contribution. This will help me a great deal. Lindsey - new member as from today.

Welcome to the Forum Lindsey - see what a great idea it was?? :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)