Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys/journals

Can someone please clarify are these the same as a Record of Achievement file. I have been told that these are what some settings are doing who already have done and managed outstanding ROA files and that these are a step up.

Can someone please clarify are these the same as a Record of Achievement file. I have been told that these are what some settings are doing who already have done and managed outstanding ROA files and that these are a step up.

This is my first attempt at using a forum so hope this works .

We currantly have individual learning profiles for each child which contain their observations,notes, work products, targets etc and highlighting sheets for school. We are now renaming them learning journeys! :o

Guest Wolfie

I think that people do use the term Learning Journey/Learning Story in slightly different contexts sometimes - I've come across the term in two main ways..

Firstly, as a description of achild's learning journey over a long period of time, as you have suggested - also sometimes called a Record of Achievement, individual learning profile, etc.

Secondly, I have seen the term used to describe one particular experience/activity etc. that a child has been involved in during a session - the child has been observed/photographed over this period of time and the "journey" has later been documented by the practitioner, teasing out the whole range of learning/skills/knowledge/attitudes evidenced by observation of that activity.

In relation to the second description, Marion Dowling recommended a book to further our understanding - I've bought it but haven't got past the title page yet!

Margaret Carr - Assessment in Early Childhood Settings, published by Sage. I'd do a link for you but the Internet is r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w this afternoon!

We do a learning journey for each area we cover in learning...for example at the moment we are focussing on change, which relates to minibeasts (previous term) and a whole host of other things. of course the planning is led by the children...we record their interests and take photos of activities. the children contribute by adding their own captions/statements. We have found it a really good way of following a theme (or 2/more if running at the same time) and so the children can make links, lok back on what they experiences/learned and the parenets love it as they are informed of what all te children are involved and interested in...we always have it on display in the recetion area for easy access to parents. the book include all children and saves an awful lot of paper/printing/time than if we did individual ones for children (they still have a profile folder in addition to this)

i suppose your learning journey is what you want it to be...

Hiya

I really love this idea for learning jouneys.

We use them in a different way, for recording individual observations and collating evidence for covering the 6 areas.

But i think i will introduce this kind of evaluation into the setting. We still have themes in our pre-school rooms but they are used to enhance the ciriculum for the children. The children all have a hand in choosing them - same as yourselves. They can last for a week or four it depends on th childrens interests.

Do you use scrapbooks for your learnin journeys?

Claire :o

Hi All - our local authority has given us some guidance re learning journeys and has mentioned that that the child's folder containing all their evidence in any form be split into the four themes of EYFS - have you all had this advice as well :o Dot

Hi All - our local authority has given us some guidance re learning journeys and has mentioned that that the child's folder containing all their evidence in any form be split into the four themes of EYFS - have you all had this advice as well :o Dot

Hiya

No, nothin been given at all. What bough you under?

Claire xD

We haven't been advised this method. Wouldn't it cause problems if some activities crossed different areas (as they should)?

Hi there,

this sounds similar to what we use, but does anyone have an example that they would be willing to share - we use Steeping Stones booklets, but they aren't good enough to expand on. Any help?

:o

Thanks

Hi there,

this sounds similar to what we use, but does anyone have an example that they would be willing to share - we use Steeping Stones booklets, but they aren't good enough to expand on. Any help?

:o

Thanks

These booklets are what we used to use but as yo say found them very restricted. This is when we swopped to the learning journey style of obs. Our baby rooms and toddler rooms always used thi style and we really found it interesting not only for staff but also parents to look though.

will attach form style some time this week

Claire

I have just received learning journey booklets sent from Surrey Early years. They are fantastic! You basically out all of your observations including pictures, samples of work, etc into it and it contains all of the new stepping stones. It also contains an All about me form, parent slips adn many more things. I am going to hole punch the booklet and put it into an A4 folder for each child.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)