Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Idea For End Of Term Pre School Party

I am hoping that I can get some advice and ideas for holding an end of term pre school party.

I am in an aukward situation as I have just got a job as pre school leader after not working since the birth of my daughter 5 years ago. I offically start in September. However I have just been asked if I would organise the end of term party!, as the parents committee feel it would be a great way to meet the parents and children. The party is held in a village hall which is just across the playground from the pre school. I have been asked to come up with a theme, however there is no budget for the party as all parents are asked to contribute food and any other required items.

I am now in a fluster as I don't know the staff or children but feel I need to impress. The committee asked the parents for ideas for the party and only got 3 replies - teddies bears picnic, sports day and fancy dress. However I can choose whatever I like as a theme.

The Pre school has approx. 24 children aged 2.5 years to starting school age.

I really hope someone can help me as i am already up to my neck trying to come to terms with the EYFS!!

Thanks for reading, sorry I have gone on a bit but I needed to get it off my chest!!

Cassie

Hi - end of term parties :o - you must have a real job on your hand ie you don't know the children or parents - for our end of term party, children encouraged to come in "dressed up how they wish, fancy dress, superhero or how ever they like - and we have traditional party games ie pass the parcel, musical statues etc, etc - there is always loads and loads of food donated by parents - we have never had an entertainer, as some children don't like this - plus different ages of children mean they will not necessarily sit for any length of time - I am sure what every you organise will be good and good luck with you new job Dot xD

Last year the weather was terrible here in Scotland and so our end of term party was a 'beach/seaside' party. We put up a paddling pool, had sand tray, water tray, dinghy's, blow up toys and rings, tents, ice cream stand etc. and everyone brought a picnic packed lunch. Everyone had a super time. :o

Teddy bears picnic.. we had blankets on the floor, and garden umbrellas to sit under, we had children bring thier own picnic in a box- (no need to check dietary requirements or allergies etc) teddy songs and games , a bear hunt.. find the teddy type thing...

If parents are staying A teddy raffle to raise some funds for the setting.. could ask committee to do this..

Sports days are fun but you really need to know the children at this age to do it... Parents can be a bit competitive! :o

Have also done as Beau .. a seaside theme... could dress up as well, But as I am now in seaside based setting we just go to the beach!!

Inge

Hi

We did the same as many a traditional party.

We put up a list of food that the parents could bring in, set up the tables within the dining room at the nursery. We made hats prior to the party. The children playde traditional games, pass the parcel, musical statues, bumps etc. They ate, played and generally had a good.

We also did graduation photos for each child, dressed them up in a home made cap and gown and scroll. These were given to the children at the party.

Went down very well - parents even asked for copies - good fundraising idea too!

Good luck by the way

Claire :o

Thanks for all the ideas, I think I will opt for the traditional party this time as I don't know the children, the seaside idea is great but they did that last year. I may ask children to come in fancy dress if they wish.

I will put up a food list for parents, organise traditional party games and set up a free play area in hall.

Anyone have any suggestions for suitable games for 2.5 -5 year olds. I can think of the normal ones - pass the parcel, musical bumps, statues etc.

Thanks to eveyone

cassie

Hi cssie, how long is the party for? You might find that with small groups each playing the various games and stopping to eat, you wont need to much for the children to do. Music and dancing alays fills gaps.

You could try pin the tail on the donkey or some variation like the leaves on the tree, the nose on the dog...

It can be a good idea to have pens/paper, a few books, jigsaws for the children who dont want to take part.

Have a fun day :o

Anyone have any suggestions for suitable games for 2.5 -5 year olds. I can think of the normal ones - pass the parcel, musical bumps, statues etc.

Hiya again

Is there anywhere you can attach a large piece of material on the ceiling. We did this then filled it with balloons, this kept the children very entertained and they all took one home.

If not just balloons on the dance floor will go down a treat.

Claire :o

The party will be for 2 hours and I am inclined to agree with you, but in the letter from the committee she said "we always put out bikes and balls as well". I don't really want to rock the boat, however I think bikes and balls in a large hall will be chaos and disruptive to the other games. Most of the parents will also be attending so I can imagine it will be difficult to control the children (don't like this word, but you know what I mean) . How can I overcome this?, the parents help to set up the hall and they will probably get out the large toys anyway.

The more I think about it, I feel I have been asked to plan the party but only how the commitee what it. I can't win really :o

Any advice on how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Cassie

We ussually section part of our hall off on wet days if we have the bikes etc out - keeps them in one area.

Good Luck we are having a graduation party as we have lots of leavers and do the usual traditonal party games.

smiles

Hi Cassie - we have tried to limit the amount of parents that come to parties, only because they seem to stand around chatting, whilst I am trying to engage very excited children - how about creating a plan of what you want to achieve, I usually do this and ensure each staff member is responsible for one activity = your new staff may well like this, ensure you don't get too much to do Cassie :o Do you have a parachute - we always have this on stand by, as a good activity to keep children engaged, especially if you have balls jumping and a Lazy Town CD always gettings kids moving Dot xD

:o we're having one to . we are having a hawaiin party day with limbo dancing, fruit kebabs,making flower chain etc .

All schildren can come in either shorts,grass skirts etc and ALL staff will be dressing up as well . me minus the coconut bra!!!!! are wondering about getting a pinata as well or could we be asking for a child to get smashed around the head with a stick!!!! Better risk assess tthat one!

Hi Cassiem, first I think you should be commended for taking this, what I think is rather a 'cheeky' responsibility on. :(

The only thing I can suggest for if you decide to 'go with the flow' and have bikes etc is to cordone off an area at the end of the hall, ensuring of course fire exit access ect.

I personally think it's a shame that committee have asked you to do this rather than have you as a 'guest' to meet parents etc. It's hard enough work for supervisors/staff who know the children. What role have current leader and staff got in helping with arrangements etc? I am assuming there is the added situation of goodbyes to current leader ( or maybe this is being done at a different time :o )

I personally have found, in my experience that adult led games such as pass the parcel, musical chairs etc are difficult for young children, too adult led and upset when rules of the game are not followed, I suppose it really depends on how familiar the children are with these games.

When I've had parties the set-up and timetable went something like this;

Agreed staff roles and responsibilities before day of party. (ie: who'e doing what preparing, during and after party) Ensure you have one member of staff who supervises toilet area, if a parent takes their child in and another child is in toilets on own, a staff member needs to tactfully supervise this. (sad to have to think of this but it's 'safe care' policy)

prepare any notices ie: Please sign in on arrival, sign out on leaving.

Hall - part clear, part normal preschool activities set up (ie: jigsaws, art but no paint, dough, duplo, brio), quiet area / a few books. Use furniture, chairs to define areas. It's good to have some 'normality' or children may feel a bit uneasy, not finding what they are used to.

Tables for eating, adult chairs, box/table with all resources for adult led games/music tapes etc, for easy access.

Table at entrance with paper / pen for parents to sign themselves in, then column with total number of adults/children.

Table for picnic/lunch boxes if children bringing own food in.

timetable;

Arrival, children / parents settle in at usual activities.

Once all arrived then start games. have a balance between adult led and some more free play. have some staff 'floating' for children who choose not to join in. adapt games to how children respond to them. quiet type games like pass the parcel. Pin the tail etc.

then food ( I tend to do buffet style, children wash hands, self serve with parents help.

active game after food ( can be quite a while sitting down), musical statues, musical chairs, balloons games etc

dance to taped music.

pull group back together with parachute play. This always worked well for me, and parents enjoyed joining in with parachute. I've highlighted this because it has always been succesful at any party I've had. :(

End by all sitting in same circle, children sing some favourite songs to parents.

Any speeches, thankyou's etc then goodbyes

Parents sign out. (and some hopefully stay to help clear up.)

Basically, not too many rules, not too high expectations of how children will respond to what may be 'new / unknown' activities such as musical chairs, everyone a winner. and most of all SMILE if you show your having fun, others will. xD

ooh, and delegate as much as you can, as this is a time to meet parents, so you need time to chat, etc.

Peggy

we are doing a leavers party simialir set out to our christmas one this year.

Chidlren arrive the room is set up as usual session but without craft or painting water etc just small world to help settle on arrival. parents leave.usual self reg taken place and number checked and written down. after half hour all have arrived and the bell is rung for tidy up then we go over to the school hall for half hour of party games and balloons (We blow up previously and carry over in black bags.) Meanwhile some member of committee without siblings have arrived to prepare party tea on paper plates, not to much just fruit and a sandwich,perhaps sausage on stick,hula hoops and a small cake or biscuit. The tables are set up with plain paper (Wallpaper is ideal) taped on and a box of wax crayons are put on the table for them to draw as they wait for all children to finish in the washroom. and toilet staff sit with the children and the comm wait on with the food and drink We sit and have our party tea and a chat. For half hour or so and then we move over to the mats settle down with a story or songs and then the entertainment will arrive not sure who yet but hoping for a childrens magician. staff will sit with children comm will clear up before they join us.

Have decided not to do our 'graduation cermony' at party as they will be very excited and cant get all the parents in the room. so will stick to inviting parents in on their child's very last session at end while we do our goodbyes as it is more staggered that way.

Andrea

Thanks Andrea and Peggy for your suggestions, Peggy, I also feel it is very cheeky asking me to do this. However the committee are in a difficult position as the current leader, having handed in her noticed, went back on her promise and left work last week instead of working til the end of term. They would really have liked me to start work straight away, but I have other commitments at the moment (my own 3 year old daughter).

As for other members of staff helping there will be 2 members of staff going to be at the party. I have seen the rota and they haven't employed more as most children are in the care of their parents. So I won't get much chance to talk to parents.

I have 2 young girls myself and from experience of birthday party's i agree that party games can be tricky.

I like the idea of separating the hall for bikes etc, I will try and do this. and the parachute idea is great, i will see if they have one.

The party is for 2 hours, so splitting it up with picnic, free play, organised games, parachute, dancing etc will help fill the time.

My worry is how the children will react to me organising the games, as they don't know me. Some may be shy, others may just not listen to a word I say!! I will talk to other members of staff and see if they can run the organised games, - if I explain my reasoning they may agree.

Thanks again for your very helpful suggestions

Cassie

agree with Andreamay's positive thought. The children won't respond to you or even the staff they are used to, as tey 'normally' would because of the basic fact their parents are with them, and the 'occasion' is different to a 'normal' session.

If you can get parents to join in the game, or just don't worry about children who choose to sit with parents and watch. A no hassle, join in if you want but doesn't matter if you don't approach is best. A bit like if you are at a social function and someone asks you up on the dance floor and you don't feel ready to but have just as much fun 'looking on', it similar to that really.

Use sound (ie music on for dancing) or high visible, get parachute, or some ribbon shakers (for dancing), balloons etc for games. Get these from your 'resource' box, say, Lets do parachute (for example) and just GET GOING as quick as possible. If you wait for lots to join you lose the control, if you start, all who want to will join in. Hope that makes sense. :o

Don't forget to delegate to committee members, give staff/committee the jobs such as door control etc, the jobs that need full attention without distraction. You should be able to 'chat' with parents during the free play and eating times.

Good luck, I'm sure it will go fine, and guess what, it will seem like forever just before and at the start of the party but then the tme will fly by and before you know it it will be time to pack up and congratulate yourself and others on a job well done. xD

Peggy

ooh, just thought of another game that all will want to be involved in a 'hide and seek' using objects (linked to a theme maybe) or sweet. :(

just another thought, if they don't have a parachute and you can't borrow one from anywhere, a large sheet or duvet cover etc does the trick. :o

Peggy

We are having a teddy bears picnic...have asked parents to provide a picnic for the children and have asked them to make their own 'picnic basket' to bring in. Will have the usual party games, tattoos, face painting. Going to make our own bunting with the children next week and invitations for their teddy bears.

Will have 2 picnics.....morning and afternoon and no parent helpers!

2 thoughts:

Make sure the committee have an up to date list of all food allergies/intolerances/dietary choices/religious/cultural diet requirements - and that you'll all know who can have what! In our setting this can be a tricky issue & we've stopped asking parents to sign up to bring in food & provide it all ourselves. Clearly this costs more but is 100% worth it to know what's in the food especially for home prepared food without ingredients.

Will the 2 staff members be all the staff still in the setting? Because the parents/careres & children will probably expect to see all staff there, especially any leavers.

Not sure this is totally appropriate for your scenario Cassie, but the Gruffalo website has some great activities on it and is known to most of our children so I'm thinking we might give it a try. Love the website!

www.gruffalo.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)