Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Digital Photo Frames

apple

Hi folks

we are looking to purcahse some digital photo frames- possibly 7" (one for each of our 4 family groups). We take so many photos that the children don't get to see we thought it would a be a really useful tool to reflet on learning and enable the children to plan their next steps by reviewing their day/week in pictures. We are also thinking about getting a larger one for he parents wainting area.

I know many schools now are buying plasma screens but thought these are relatively inexpensive. Does anyone use them and how? What is the best type to get? There are so many on the market, knowing which to get is confusing! I'd like to be sure that the quality of picture is good so how do I find out that? Steve, perhaps you know about them?

Enlightenment would be great :o

Hi apple -

Sorry to disappoint you but I've never used them myself. I think they look very funky, but I've always felt in an over technologised home they would be just one more thing to have to regularly supply with batteries or other power, and then worry about when the screen didn't show anything (I think I'm developing an allergic reaction to technology generally...).

If you have a local PC World, however, I've noticed they have a number of displays of these frames, so perhaps you could just pop in and see what looks good there? And let me know. If they don't consume much power and seem very reliable perhaps I'll have a crack myself (Atchoo! ).

I have a digital photo frame at home, its OK but needs plugging in and you have to have a pen drive or a memory card with the photos on inserted in the back. I found this a bit of a pain as it meant I needed to memory cards. One for in the frame and one for the camera! As a cheaper, more instant suggestion I leave photos of the children running on the PC in the classroom and the whiteboard when parents visit. I use the slide show function on windows picture & fax viewer. I think most computers have this function and as the photos are on the PC to print out it is quick to set up.

Hope that is helpful

Fluffychuffnuts x :o

thanks marion that's a good link- you know what it's like once you start looking you find that there is so much else to it than what you originally thought would be a simple purchase- so the ifo on that site was great info.

Steve, I totally agree about one more devise in the house but thought what a good addition to the nursery- especially as I don't use the IWB as much as I did in reception- (it's a really daft place by the main doors through xD )

I was researching a bit about documentation a couple of days ago and came across an article by a nursery teacher who used a pc tablet for the children to 'write' their comments on the photos-fab but techi and expensive piece of equipment. Thought the digi photo frames would be a poor man's compromise :o

I'll let you know if we get them

cheers once again

The other option is talking books. You can put photographs into them and the children can record a comment. You can get them from TTS and they are cheaper than digital photoframes. You cannot put as many photos in them but you could just update the photos as you go along. You can get them in A5 and A3 sizes.

Sue

We use one. We have 3 digital cameras with cards. When the children have used them, we can display the photos straight away for them to see & later for their parents, too. Also photos of activities and to show parents of new children that they really did settle down & enjoy themselves! It's been quite a success.

BTW 2 of the cameras were donated from people who had updated - might be worth thinking about if cash is tight! So long as they have a card they don't have to be anything special.

I havent been hunting for a large digital photo frame for ages. We have a small one which I dont feel is big enough for us as we are using it on the wall to display photos for the parents. They come with very short leads and I havent been able to find a bigger lead.

There are loads on ebay- but would recommend you buy one new. Mine was £60 for 7" I have just ordered a 15" one for £99

Hope that is helpful

Fluffychuffnuts x xD

I feel certain I would have remembered welcoming you to the Forum, Fluffychuffnuts!

And since I don't: welcome to the Forum! :o

Maz

I have just ordered a 7" digital frame from Tesco Direct only £40. Hopefully will work ok. A parent has just taken photos of all the children which we will be selling to parents and we will use photo frame to show parents choice of photos.

Have also ordered 2 larger sd cards for our camera, so we can show photos daily/weekly to children and parents.

Will keep you posted on how it works out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)