Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Same Sex Parents Equal Opps - Advice Please

Hi All

I have a child in my setting who has same sex parents - and I wish to purchase some books which reflect how we all come from different families ie sometimes one mum, one dad, two dads, two mums etc etc -

I could really do with some advice as to how I ensure I am meeting this particular child's needs ? Have already formed a wonderful relationship with the child's parents - any ideas and experiences you all have would be really welcomed.

Dot :o

Guest Wolfie

Hi - I know I've definitely seem some fiction books that cover this issue, I can't remember the details but hang in there because someone will!

Have you tried the 'Festivals' website they are usually quite good and issues concerning diversity. The other thing is to maybe contact a gay and lesbian society as they will more than likely be able to point you in the right direction

Hi All and thanks for the feedback.

Hi A Turner and welcome to the forum - how did you use the resources within your setting, did you display posters etc and have particular books on the book rack and how did you use other ideas within your setting. My advisor said I should treat him like anyone else, which of course we are, but I do believe our setting shoudl be reflective on the wider community we live in today, and within the EYFS is states that even though minorities may not be at our setting, we should all be reflective :o

Thanks also to everyone else who has replied so far with links & ideas etc, once I have fully researched I will post my findings so anyone else can add resources to their settings. xD Dot

We used books in our book corner but the advice we sought were for the parents, who were seeking parenting classes as they felt there were prejudices from other parents. (this was there belief). So to support them and the child i contacted 'Stonewall' who offered advice. They were looking for a lesbian parenting class which does not exist in our area and we were told that they needed to be treated the same as everyone else. this is something that they did not want. It was quite a difficult time for all as they moved the child around local nurseries. We were fortunate to have him for a year before they moved on again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)