Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Themes And Principles

skippy

Has anyone made a devleopment plan they would be willing to share around the EYFS themes and principles that underpin practice.

Also could anyone clarify how these cards fit into the stautory guidance?

Thank you

Hi Skippy, I know if anyone here has done this already, but it wouldn't be too difficult to draw up a table or the 16 commitments for you and your staff to use as a reflective tool and audit for your provision.

You can look at each one in turn in staff development sessions, or take those you think may be the weakest and focus on those. I did this in one of the nurseries I support, we looked briefly at all 16 and I asked for a gut reaction of which they felt were their strongest and weakest. Intersteing that they didn't all have the same opinion which was good because we then started to unpick what their practice looked like for each commitments and from their decide what their next developments in that area would be. SO for example if one person said they felt they were really strong in 4.1 Play and exploration, then we asked how do you know? What do you do to supportt that commitment? This is a really good exercise for anyone who is concerned about the EYFS, because as you start to unpick it you realise what you're already doing well, and what you may need to develop further.

The poster has the four themes and 16 commitments listed for you. We are doing just what you suggest Mundia. At our last training session we covered Ubique Child and Enabling Environments. team members wereeach allocated one or other of the themes, looking at the commitments individually to look at and reflect on our practice . We then all discussed it - each bringing out what we thoguht we did well and what we need to improve upon. It seemed to work - we have several more training session and will be covering the other two themes and welfare requirements and then how we will be adapting our planning.

smiles

Thanks guys we thought we would break it down and go through it at meetings as an ongoing process. I didnt word it well, what we need to do is finf out how our policies fit into the themes and principles to underpin our practice. What i was unsure of is how theses fit with the statutory guidence. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)