Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Welcome Pack For Parents

Hi all , just wondering if I could see some examples of introduction to school packs for new parents.

I have to speak to the new parents next week and i was just wondering what everyone else includes in their meeting. I know it will be individual to my school but what standard things do everyone talk about. Thanks again everyone ger

Guest heleng

We don't have a welcome to school pack, we have a parents meeting where we talk about expectations and routines etc and the parents get given a prospectus. They also get given a short questionnaire to tell us about how their child is at home.

We also have an induction morning when the children spend time with their new teacher and the nursery arrange a home visit.

Have you done a search on this as there's been some useful ideas about on here recently. Sparklebox have got a welcome pack for the children that you could either download or use as a model for your own version. Steve has put on a presentation for parents about the whole EYFS and I also found a good one on Ambleside nursery website.

Hi, I'm also interested about knowing about what to include for New Parents. I want to design a leaflet with top tips and a section to say what we will do with children, but as the nursery is going t be changing in September, I want to ensure it is going to be an accurate view. At the moment we are going to meet with parents at the beginning of July for a meeting, I may open up the idea of private meetings if they would prefer this. My friends school give parents a 15 minute slot, and ask thm eo sign letters such as Interent access, photograph permission, a toileting policy etc...

Hope this is a little help?!?

Sorry about the mistakes in the last message, and the very long sentences.... you can tell I am new at this!!

We have a new parents evening when they come and meet the team, have a chance to buy uniform and ask loads of questions. They also get a prospectus and a load of other stuff on the PTA etc, I save the welcome pack until they have actually started school and i use the sparkle box one- it is brill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Thank you for your replies X

I'm meeting the new parents on Wednesday.... :o I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one! I have made a booklet, which I do like but know I will add to and change next year. I think I need the experience first in order to get it right!

I've also made a sheet for parents to comment on and am making a day available when they can meet me individually if they wish to.

I'll let you know how I get on... Oh my no!

I'm meeting the new parents on Wednesday.... :o I'm excited and nervous all rolled into one! I have made a booklet, which I do like but know I will add to and change next year. I think I need the experience first in order to get it right!

I've also made a sheet for parents to comment on and am making a day available when they can meet me individually if they wish to.

• 1 month later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

How did you get on?

We give out leaflets on something called the Parenting puzzle which is a parenting course and we also give each parent some initial resources for them to use over the summer with their children (which they have to sign in and out!). These include puzzles, word games, story tapes, number cards, bingo and lotto style games etc. We give them a talk about the expectations, behaviour and otherwise as well as details of school policies and the curriculum. We do a tour of the classrooms and then let the parents and children come in for a brief play. In our presentation to the parents we cover home visits, lunch at school, helping your child to gain their independence (e.g. tidy up, blow their own nose, wash their hands, hang up their own coats, recognise their name, toileting, dress and undress etc), speaking and listening - good sitting, looking, listening, class rules, writing templates, getting ready for maths, exploring the world etc. We also hand out examples of handwriting to show the direction and formation of the letter shapes and their own childs laminated name plate so they can practice recognising it together and a reading list for parents to read to their children.

I hope this helps?

http://www.familylinks.org.uk/parenting/parenting_puzzle.htm

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

Hi there, I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply... I've just got married!!

The parent meeting went well thanks. I haven't got my parent book with me at the moment, but will attach it as soon as I can. It just contained what we will be providing for the children, what the currculum looks like (in brief) and what they could do for their child. I then finished it with a poem from this site. I also gave each parent a 'hope' card. On it they have written on what they hope their child will achieve. I'm going to put this on a tree of some kind in the entrance.

I'm really looking forward to starting in September, and I'm going into school over the next few weeks to make sure the classroom is ready. Your information was very useful thank you. I've got a feeling this is going to be avery busy year and a steep learning curve!

Hi there, I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply... I've just got married!!

Wow, congratulations, joeysmum! I'd love to hear more about your day.

I'm glad to hear your meeting went well: often these things are more worrying in prospect than in reality, don't you think? I love the idea of your 'hope' card - will definitely be borrowing that one!

Maz

Hi,

The day was just perfect Maz! It was low key, but everything we wanted. We should have been getting married in 2006, but Joe arrived (who is gorgeous!) Then we planned it for last year, finally third time lucky we have done it!

We started in a registry ofice with close friends, then had photos in a local park.... it was so warm! Afterwards 26 of us went to have a meal in a country pub, the meals were huge!! :o Then my husband and I (weird!!) went of to a hotel for the afternoon and night, then went upto the Lakes for a few days (alone! wow!)

We had an incredible time, it feels so long ago now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)