Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Article From Ofsted News

Guest Wolfie

Guest tinkerbell

So what do you have to do to get an Outstanding! come on The place sounds excellent.

shame on Ofsted

Tinkerbellx

It does make you wonder what you have to do to get an outstanding, it also shows how very subjective the whole process is, another inspector on another day might had given the overall outstanding. It doesn't give much hope for those of us who can't create neverland in our outside play area :o

how lovely, i did love the idea of children doing risk assessments, a great play experience to encourage their awareness. fantastic

It does make you wonder what you have to do to get an outstanding, it also shows how very subjective the whole process is, another inspector on another day might had given the overall outstanding. It doesn't give much hope for those of us who can't create neverland in our outside play area xD

We can all create - but i think it depends on our inspectors - lets hope that the EYFS inspectors take into account

our environment - especially those providers that have to 'pack away' not only in the inside environment but also the outside environment !!!

Reading through recent information sent I think the Governmet are aiming to 'include' the private sector - hoorah :o

how lovely, i did love the idea of children doing risk assessments, a great play experience to encourage their awareness. fantastic

We have for the last 2 years written our 'practices' for Behaviour Management, Health and Safety and Well Being for all children through the 'eyes' of the children attending our setting. We decided NOT to call them rules - but practices - as children attending our setting will always be practicing them!!!

We have 3 boards under the above headings - with our practices in text followed backed up by a visual display/photograph pointing to the practice.

I will try and send a photograph - no promises!!!

Thanks for the link - what a lovely sounding nursery. Couldn't believe it didn't get an outstanding!!!

She was pretty clear about it though - they knew exactly what to do to get an outstanding next time.

It did sound like a wonderful place to go for the children. :o

I have two comments to make in reply to some of your comments:-

Outstanding should be just that and not given just because they are almost outstanding in all areas. The inspectors comment that "the procedure for sharing information about children’s progress and development, and including them in planning for children’s next steps of learning had not been fully developed" showed that she had inspected the setting fully and found an area of weakness that needed to be improved upon. This is what the inspection process is all about and personally I always welcomed positive feedback on how we could improve upon our provision. Yes, another inspector may well have overlooked this - unfortunately they are human and make mistakes but thankfully this one didn't have her rose tinted glasses on too tightly.

Secondly, don't fall into the trap of thinking that since we are not all starting out on a level playing field then some settings should be inspected less stringently than others. This would directly undermine all playgroups and fuel the attitude that playgroups are in some way inferior to other settings. The very fact that we are all (in theory!) inspected and measured against the same standards means that good playgroups can use their inspection reports to try to dispel these negative attitudes that some parents have. xD

Well said Beau. :o

I think the description of the settings shows how good a 'Good' rating requires. (if that makes sense).

I still am not keen on the term 'satisfactory' to portray a standard that meets the majority of requirements.

However, I do sometimes feel the term 'good' is over used in general, for example how many times do we say to children when they show us a picture "Oh, that's good", when we haven't even observed what effort went into it.

The term 'good' does evoke, for me, a sense of trying our best AND knowing ways in which we want to improve. Here are a few definitions of OUTSTANDING:

adjective 1. excellent, good, great, important, special, fine, noted, champion, celebrated, brilliant, impressive, superb, distinguished, well-known, prominent, superior, first-class, exceptional, notable, world-class, exquisite, admirable, eminent, exemplary, first-rate, stellar

Standing out among others of its kind; prominent. See Synonyms at noticeable.

Superior to others of its kind; distinguished

very good; excellent

distinguished from others in excellence

having a quality that thrusts itself into attention

Peggy

Guest lucyevans

I think this article shows how important 'working with parents' has become in the inspection process.

It looks like an inspirational setting

Lucy

Well said Beau. :o

I think the description of the settings shows how good a 'Good' rating requires. (if that makes sense).

I still am not keen on the term 'satisfactory' to portray a standard that meets the majority of requirements.

However, I do sometimes feel the term 'good' is over used in general, for example how many times do we say to children when they show us a picture "Oh, that's good", when we haven't even observed what effort went into it.

The term 'good' does evoke, for me, a sense of trying our best AND knowing ways in which we want to improve. Here are a few definitions of OUTSTANDING:

adjective 1. excellent, good, great, important, special, fine, noted, champion, celebrated, brilliant, impressive, superb, distinguished, well-known, prominent, superior, first-class, exceptional, notable, world-class, exquisite, admirable, eminent, exemplary, first-rate, stellar

Standing out among others of its kind; prominent. See Synonyms at noticeable.

Superior to others of its kind; distinguished

very good; excellent

distinguished from others in excellence

having a quality that thrusts itself into attention

Peggy