Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sports Day

HI Im wondering if anyone can help me. This is my first year of running a preschool and the comitiee have asked us to hold a small sports day for our children. This would be the first time i have done one and im getting really stuck for interesting and motivational ideas has anyone got any advice or ideas we could use. Would be really greatful.

:o

Hi Sarah - by coincidence I received my NCMA childminding magazine today which suggests a "mini Olympics" and covers the history of the Games, links in with info on China and suggestions for "Olympian" cardboard medals for all participants and some sporting events. Some are balloon between the knees race, walking backward race, shot putting with a small soft ball, mini javelin (4 drinking straws taped together and thrown toward a target) hammer throw (small paper bag filled with scrunched paper and tied with string about 20cm long)

Sparklebox also have sports day certificates for downloading.

Hope those get you started! Have fun!

Nona

My children used to love to do 'pretent' races

pretend to be on a motorbike ( adults leads the start of the race ie: get on your bike, crash helmet on, turn the ignition, turn the throttle, lots of BBBRRM BBRRMM sounds, hold the handlebars, ready....go)

in a racing car - similar sequence to above

on a horse

on ski's - pretend to move ski's as they run

etc

Also enjoyed the backwards race.

Peggy

Thank you very much for your help my mind goes blank sometimes and just need a few ideas to help me along the way. I love them all will have to start organising now another thing to have to think about.

Thanks everyone

:oxD

Last year we added a three legged parents race (the year before the dads were a tad competitive) one for the mums and one for the dads, it slowed them down a little being tied to someone else and added a much more lighthearted aspect to it. am planning a repeat this year along with the egg and spoon classic (small balls on very large spoons)

all the parents who took part got a certificate too!

Last year we added a three legged parents race (the year before the dads were a tad competitive) one for the mums and one for the dads, it slowed them down a little being tied to someone else and added a much more lighthearted aspect to it. am planning a repeat this year along with the egg and spoon classic (small balls on very large spoons)

all the parents who took part got a certificate too!

Yes, no parents running races! I absolutely hated these as your child really wants you to take part but as Freda says they are hugely competitive. The first one I was involved in I was totally unprepared for it and almost went flying when the mum next to me elbowed me very hard in the side at the start of the race. :o The headteacher at my sons school had a policy of not having them after one parent broke a leg at her previous school during a parents race. A couple of years ago at my girls primary school one of the mums sustained a nasty injury to her ankle and was walking on crutches for several weeks afterwards. I like the idea of a fun race though - perhaps one they do with their child would be good. xD

Our parents races were usually fun ones, balloon between the knees, or dressing up ( an item at regular stages to put on and then continue, usually a skirt, bouse/top, gloves, hat scarf, and wellies) we had a staff one too usually an obstacle course set by the parents.

Always remember the ones as a child where a parent joined the child and each had to perform a task during the race usually throw a ball into a bucket, put a item into a pot using no hands, sew a patch onto the childs bottom (care needed here probably not pass H&S these days) Tie a shoelace, there was always 4 things 2 for each participant who took turns.

Inge

We have taken the rather controversial move to ban parents from our sports day :o

Brave person! I always remember one sports day when my 2 older ones were younger and one mum screaming her head off from the sidelines - "Its not the taking part that counts. Run faster!" xD:(

We didn't "invite" parents last year and got away with it xD mainly for the reason you gave Carol except a little more extreme - a parent actually knocked a child over in her eagerness for her child to win (not intentionally but pushing to get to the winning line) so we decided to take the stance and bring back the fun for the children. We've even had parents and grandparents standing on the track or running alongside to hand drinks and snacks to the runners (we only run 50 metres :o ) or blocking the finishing line so they can video the race.

any suggestions on how to organise a sports day. It is my first time too and we have 40 children to be invited. I dont want the children to have to wait along time until it is their turn. how may others invite parentIs or not. i wondering whether to have stations where the children move round and then maybe just a few running races or obstacle races at the end.

ideas are beginning to flow

love to hear what works or does not work

angela

blocking the finishing line so they can video the race.

Video cameras are one of my pet hates. When I go to my children's school plays I always seem to be stuck behind a Steven Spielberg complete with tripod, endless equipment and the inability to sit still or quiet! Sorry to go off topic, moan over.

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)