Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Person In Eyfs

Hi

I have just read on anther forum that to be a key person, that person must be qualified? I have looked through the standards and I cant find where it states that?? We have just one member of staff who has years of experience but has never taken a qualification? She has been a key worker for years!! Is it still ok for her to carry on?

Help?

jx

Hi

I have just read on anther forum that to be a key person, that person must be qualified? I have looked through the standards and I cant find where it states that?? We have just one member of staff who has years of experience but has never taken a qualification? She has been a key worker for years!! Is it still ok for her to carry on?

Help?

jx

It does state that keypersons have to be at least level 3. I went on the session 3 last week (requirments) and we asked about this as well and they couldnt answer us typical.Then went on about funding was not availble to those who wanted to train.

I would like to know where it says that too please. A few settings i support, like you Jenni, have longstanding members of staff with level 2 or below who are key workers so if this is true it needs to be brought to their attention.

Paula

Its not April 1st is it?????? :o

I havnt read that either - and have level 2s as key workers - that would be a spanner in the works for many of us wouldnt it!!!!!!! xD

I've got the statutory framework in front of me now and I can't find anything that states keyworkers have to be qualified to level 3-neither in the specific legal requirements nor in the guidance (page 37).

Is there some confusion here with supervisors and managers who have to have a level 3? As half of all other staff have to have a level two it would mean that, in many settings, the only person who could be a keyworker would be the manager or supervisor, which would be a lot of additional work for them.

Linda

This would also have a huge impact on us as we only have five staff members. Of those, three (inc Manager and deputy) have level 3 + qualifications but all staff have Key person status. The unqualified staff are supported by the manager and deputy, as is the qualified member of staff and as a very small team we work well all together. The unqualified staff have been offered training and are encouraged to do it, but they are reluctant to commit to a long course such as the NVQ due to their personal and home lives. They do undertake other training regularly and would be very capable of undertaking an NVQ, but at present it is not for them However they are excellent members of staff.

Guest Wolfie

I think tht in an ideal world your key people(??!!) would be qualified and experienced but in the REAL world that's going to cause problems for a lot of settings.

In the nursery at our Centre, ALL staff have a key person group, including unqualified staff. I ensure that support those staff and monitor their work in rleation to key person responsibilities closely. Thye are also given a MUCH smaller group than those staff that are qualified.

I wasn't aware that anything was stated in the EYFS and am not inclined to chnage our practice in line with the guidance. If Ofsted questioned it, I feel that I can put forward a strong case for our way of doing things. :o

Edited by Wolfie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)