Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problem At Work

Hi

I need some advice I work in a small Pre School only 5 staff run by a committee I get on well with everyone except my manager who I feel belittles me at times and makes me feel as if I cannot do the job to her standards, she is a perfectionist and admits it.

Anyway feeling a bit unhappy but to top it off the committee have made a boo boo with my wages and overpaid me by quite a large sum over a long period of time I now have to repay the money and take a drop in wages. Don't know what to do should I look for new job or stick it out I feel as if my confidence is ebbing away and I am edge all the time but love my job

Thanks for caring

Ooh, that's awful and I'm not sure I know the answer to the latter problem........ I'll ponder it and let you know if I come up with something. We are a small committee run pre-school, and if you're like us its run on a shoestring..... hence the need to recoup their loss from you. Not sure I would handle it quite the way they have though, it seems very heavy handed. I might try and think laterally and ask if you would undertake some additional responsibility, maybe one-off tasks or projects which could be offset against the overpayment of wages. Is it worth you asking if you could be given more responsibility - maybe a tricky one tho' given your manager.........

I'll keep thinking, but try and be positive. Sometimes voluntary committees lack experience and can be quite flexible when presented with an alternative solution to the problem.

Hi kryten, firstly, dont let your manager make you feel that way. Easier said than done I know, but take a good look at your practice and evaluate it yourself, I'm sure you'll come out a lot better than you think. I had a manager who made me feel like kak most days but it really doesnt do to take notice. Just smile and let her do the things she thinks you dont do well enough. And it helped me to learn a valuable lesson in how NOT to run a staff team!

As to the wages, you will probably have to pay it back but the committee should at least consult you regarding how much per week. They cant just take what they want and leave you short.

Go to them and explain that the proposed deductions are more than you can afford but offer them something else.

I agree, they can't just take a huge bite out of your wages each week without some consultation with you, over how much it should be each week/month. I guess their argument will be that you should have realised that they were paying you too much, which actually isn't always that easy! (It's the reason I left my old group.......they hadn't been giving any of us wage slips, and then I found, to my horror, that they hadn't been paying our tax/insurance!),so, sit down with them and work out how this is to be paid back, though I think, tbh, they're pushing it asking for the whole lot back.............they should have realised that something was wrong too, the onus should not have just been on you.Maybe they will come to an agreement to take half back,(and do they have a written policy on this which says overpayments must be returned?) and of course it's going to impact on the tax/insurance they took from you........nightmare! Good luck, and don't forget,you could always ring ACAS for advice?

This happened to myself and another colleague last year.

They shouldn't demand a lump sum back from you as this is'nt the way you recieved it in the first place.

I worked out how much they had overpaid me and thats the amount I returned each month.

It was an honest mistake but I had to ask for an apology. Remember YOU did nothing wrong.

It really brought home to me how much power these volunteer committee members have in dealing with a very important part of our working lives.

Hope you get it sorted - along with your manager!

Found this which explains it all in relatively easy to understand terms. I also looked at the Employment Rights Act 1996 but it is so wrapped up in legal jargon that I couldn't really understand it!! Unfortunately they do have the right to recover the overpaid wages but need to be reasonable about how they do this. If you left then you would probably need to pay the whole amount owed in one lump sum - can you afford to do this?

Hi

I feel for you I really do because this happened to me a few years ago! The Treasurer made me feel like I had deliberately taken the money!! I was mortified not to have realised but the way he did the wage slips made it almost impossible to work out what was what!, particularly as I had recently been promoted, so I thought my wages had gone up because of that!!! He tried to demand it all back in one go!! I did fight it and in the end I paid back a small amount each month but only half the total over payment!!! Afterall it was his mistake too!! And he had made the mistake with other staff members too!!! It was a horrible time, and I very nearly left the pre-school because of it. I did get an apology in end!!

good luck and fight your corner, you did nothing wrong!!!!

jx

Hi

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time. I would try and talk to the chair of your committee about the problem with your manager and the overpaid wages. Maybe you will be able to find a compromise/solution for both situations. I wouldn't have thought that they could demand back the money from you without consideration for your financial circumstances - you can't be expected to pay back more than you can afford. Especially as this was not your mistake. If they will not compromise on this I would definately check out your rights with ACAS.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sally

Hi Many thanks for all your kind words and help I have looked on ACAS site and now feel clearer in my mind . I am going to pay the amount back monthly as suggested, on my terms and at an amount agreed plus look into tax etc paid. It is not possible to do extra to pay off the money as I already work alot of hours over and above my contracted hours plus do work at home which I dont mind as thats what childcare is like. As for my manager I am going to try and stand up for myself after all what have I got to loose, however I am thinking of a career change so watch this space

Again many thanks

Good for you, kryten57.

Speaking with my employer's hat on, I would suggest you raise your problems with your manager to whoever on the Committee is in charge of personnel-related issues. She may be completely unaware of how she makes you feel, and it may not be her intention to make you feel this way. It may be that other members of staff feel the same way you do. In either case, it is important that these issues are resolved - otherwise people will just leave and the group will not be able to get to the bottom of what is going on, and why. It may involve a bit of conflict resolution, which is always scary - but at least you should be listened to and have your needs and feelings taken into consideration.

Good luck - hope you get it all sorted (especially the pay). Let us know how things go.

Maz

hi

i also have the same problem with my manager, i am her deputy and she is a control freak and does not like me to do anything. So i have enroled on the foundation degree which she does not like, got funding from the tranformation fund so no one can say no. go to college in the evening so there is nothing she can say. If i wont get responibility one way them i will out educate her.!!

I have allso requested an appraiseal so i can have it recorded that i am willing to learn more. I will also suggest more formal meeting for development plans. Do some voulentary work if you can to gain more experience so that also look good for you wanting to learn more. this is what i am going to do. good luck we are not alone with contrlo mnagers. :o

flosse

Hi I have decided to do some voluntary work to gain extra experience with families as I want to be a family support worker. I am also doing the Foundation degree and I am waiting for my appraisal spooky!

:o how similiar are we.

separated at birth? :(

Good to hear you standing up for yourselves and taking your life into your own hands and making things better! xD

Maz

Hi I have decided to do some voluntary work to gain extra experience with families as I want to be a family support worker. I am also doing the Foundation degree and I am waiting for my appraisal spooky!

Hi I am doing the early years foundation degree. I am enjoying it but find it a bit time consuming especially when you have a family and work. Hey thats why they call us super woman I expect lol

I am nearly finished my first year in early years. I am enjoying it. What sort of things have you done at the children centre where you volunteer and what have you found the most rewarding? How often do you volunteer? I am waiting for my CRB to go through because it is with Barnardo that supply the volunteers. I have asked to try out all the different things so i can get a feel for what i would like in the future. I would like to work with families, i think. take care,

Flosse

I will be supporting families who require help with parenting, every day issues, child protection, special needs etc.Waiting for my CRB check to come through and attending extra training. I want to volunteer as much as poss as I want to get lots of experience before I start applying for jobs in that area.

I also want to do this, how strange! Did you ask your manager to be used as a reference and if so what did she say? Was she supportive or not. I am unsure to use her as a reference. I have just recomended a book for her to read in the vain hope to educate her and her way so she will change. I said all the managers were saying what a good book this was. That was to get her intrested in reading it.

Flosse

No I didn't put her down as a reference as she has already said she hates doing them, however when I leave I will put her down as she has to provide one or I might ask the chairperson. Really want to get started as I have heard there may be some jobs coming up in September so I want to be prepared and have some experience. Good luck to you I think this area of work will be so varied and interesting. Wonder if I will be able to complete my degree if not working in a childcare setting? will worry about that when it happens :o

Whats the book called lol

The book is called leadership in the early years by J rodd. I am going to use her as a reference just to make her think i will not be kept down. also i will be valauble to other people. In time so this might make her think more about how she could make more use of me too. How did you get on with your appriseal, was you manager there or was it the committe only with feedback from the manager. I have never had one done before.

Flosse

Surprise Surprise my appraisal was cancelled due to staff shortage has to be rescheduled. It will just be me and my manager who will then report to the committee. I'm not worried, I know I do a good job and work really hard. I was a manager of a nursery so I know how to get the best out of people and that is through praise and support something our managers seem to find hard to do. :o

We are having our appraisals after half term. My manager told me it was good practice to have a third person present in case of any misunderstandings etc. In my case its the chairman of our committee. I am happy about his presence but wonder if, in your case, you can ask for a third party to sit in. Just a thought!! Good luck!

Hi

I need some advice I work in a small Pre School only 5 staff run by a committee I get on well with everyone except my manager who I feel belittles me at times and makes me feel as if I cannot do the job to her standards, she is a perfectionist and admits it.

Anyway feeling a bit unhappy but to top it off the committee have made a boo boo with my wages and overpaid me by quite a large sum over a long period of time I now have to repay the money and take a drop in wages. Don't know what to do should I look for new job or stick it out I feel as if my confidence is ebbing away and I am edge all the time but love my job

Thanks for caring