Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My First Presentation!

Hi everyone,

I'm an NQT this year in a mixed Reception/Year 1 class. My head told me yesterday that on the next inset day I have to do a presentation infront of all teh staff and govenors about My NQT year!

I'm really nervous and I hate speaking infront of people over the age of 5 so obviously I was not happy to hear this!

My mind is just completely blank, any ideas of what to say?

Please help!

Rachel x

I'm afraid I'm from a pre-school, but I would guess if you use your planning sheets, to show their effectiveness, examples of the childrens achievements and lots and lots of photos. Talk about all the good things which have happened, what changes you have made and what plans you have for the future.

I find talking very slowly, having lots of hand outs and inviting questions normally pads out any presentations!

You need to know "why?". That will help you focus on the relevant info and content. You dont teach a lesson without knowing why, the learning objective, so how you can you do a presentation without the same knowledge?

Just wanted to say good luck too, I find that I try my best to convince everyone watching that I am confident and it seems to work, I try to use open body language and like Shelley says talk slowly, I get really nervous but somehow seem to pull it off, maybe I could be an actor!

Like you I have no problem with under 5s - much better audience.

Maybe you could mention about reflective practice - seems to be key at the moment, and maybe recommendations for yourself for future professional development?

On a 1st aid course last night we were shown how to talk without your voice quivering.

Breath in through your nose and speak for that breath out.

Dont know if it works, just wanted to say good luck really. :o

Guest Wolfie

From what you say, it sounds as though your head maybe wants you to talk a bit about what it's been like to be an NQT - your experience of the whole year, highs and lows, rather than the nitty gritty of what you have done?

Like Susan says, I would clarify exactly what they want from you.

Good luck! Let su know how you get on...when IS your next INSET day? :o

Guest Keen

Hi Rachel

I don't know what you have decided to do but I always find photographs really good to talk to. If you have been taking photos of your children and your room over the year you could maybe chose say 12 that show some deveolpment over the year and then write yourself some notes on how you have changed over the year and also how the children have changed.

Photos make a change to a presentation with just words. Just a thought as it seems to work for me!

Good luck

Guest Wolfie

I'd agree - photos are a really good idea, and if you've got them up on the whiteboard, it focusses people's attention away from your face..... which helps if you're nervous!

Hi Rachel,

I guessed from your post you can base your presentation on anything to do with your NQT year. This gives you a chance to do your talk on what you feel most comfortable and confident with. :o Remember don't make it too long and involve your audience if you can. Wolfie's idea of using a whiteboard is good. Can you hand around some things the children have made? I don't think you need handouts but it depends on what you decide to say. I would also add something funny and thank the staff for being friendly and supporting you.

Practice in the mirror and make sure you are happy with your script, which you can have on cards in case your mind goes blank. Speak slowly, everyone talks faster when they are nervous. The best advice I was given for my first presentation (and still do) was to 'scan the room'. I look above peoples' heads because I get to nervous to look directly at them but they think I am giving them eye contact.

Good Luck xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)