Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seeds To Grow?

any of you avaid gardeners have any suggestions for some easy and fast growing seeds we could plant apart from beans and cress??

any suggestions would be fab!

lettuce/ radish / mung beans/ beansprouts/ if you pop into your local garden centre and look for the packets with 10-12 week on them this should be just enough time to get them in!

Marigolds germinate quickly and produce short sturdy plantlets. :( Nasturtiums germinate quicker and robustly but produce a long straggly plant that is easily damaged especially on the journey out of the nursery door :( .Plant 3 seeds per pot then you won't get disappointed children as one is sure to set. xD

Broad beans planted in 1" of compost in a plastic A4 evelope and cellotaped to a window are great to watch. :o

How about sunflowers, nasturtiums and calendula (marigolds). Works for us every year. Peas are an easy veg to grow from seed as well. Oh and grass seed - my kids did it at school one year they put some grass seed in the bottom of an old sock and then put a few handfuls of compost on top. Tied a knot in the sock and put it in a plastic cup knot side down. Within a week or so, grass started growing through the foot of the sock like hair - we even kept cutting it and it lasted for ages. I think they are called Mr Greenheads?

Sally

my kids did it at school one year they put some grass seed in the bottom of an old sock and then put a few handfuls of compost on top. Tied a knot in the sock and put it in a plastic cup knot side down. Within a week or so, grass started growing through the foot of the sock like hair - we even kept cutting it and it lasted for ages. I think they are called Mr Greenheads?

We've got this planned for the last week of term.To end our growing topic we are planning a garden party-bunting-hook a duck-summer dresses etc and inviting the parents and the head is going to offically open with a ribbon our playground art and tyre planters.One activity will be a make a Mr Grasshead with their child.We've bought cheap multiy pack pop socks from Primark for hygiene reasons.We'll mix grass seed with sand and provide wiggly eyes.Hopefully involving the parents in making one to take home will continue the growing learning at home over the holidays.All we need now is a fine day.

Last year we sowed some country meadow mix type seeds outside. Some came up during the last weeks of the year but lots of them came out in September and some of the children who come to nursery for two years had remembered planting them. It was nice to try and guess what would sprout next, there were poppies, cornflowers etc. They were really easy to look after too.

Nicola

I am loving the sound of the grass heads!!! would pop socks be better than socks??

I think any sock will do - we used some of the kids old socks and the grass grew through fine.

I think any sock will do - we used some of the kids old socks and the grass grew through fine.

the feet from old used tights are just as good - and cheaper if you get the parents to donate... Say no to the fishnets though :o

Good seeds to try are courgette and corn on the cob. I'm always amazed that such a tiny thing can produce such huge stuff.

The courgettes are fairly quick to grow too.

Say no to the fishnets though :o

What a shame! I'll have to find another use for mine. Any suggestions?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)