Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Schema?

Guest Wolfie

Guest Wolfie

If a child enjoys activities such as putting toys into a container - Popoids into the bin, chalks into a bowl, etc. - which schema are they displaying...enveloping or transporting? I would have said "posting" but there doesn't seem to be one with that particular name! I've has a look at the descriptions on a couple of websites, including the Dorset one, but can't make up my mind!

It sounds like enveloping/enclosing to me ,too, as the focus seems to be on the filling up rather than the moving around.

I'd go for the 'enjoying themselves'!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxx

or is it tidying up time fun :o

Peggy

p.s. I'd go with containing, I see enclosing / enveloping as a child who physically directs one object ie paper/cloth etc, around another object. (ie: wrapping up items )

Enclosure/ containing ~ A child may put their thumb in and out of their mouth, fill up and empty containers of all kinds, climb into large cartons, sit in the tunnel, build ‘cages’ with blocks.

Enveloping A child may cover themselves in a flannel when washing, wrap dolls and toys up in blankets and fabric, cover their painting with one colour.

Edited by Marion

Guest Wolfie

I haven't found a reference to a "containing" schema Peggy - where did you find that one?

Guest Wolfie

Can anyone recommend a good book? I've read lots of articles and bits and pieces about schemas but want something a bit more in depth now - I was thinking about Tina Bruce's book - the updated version of Early Childhood Education has a new chapter on schemas apparently, has anyone read it?

I'm the same as you Wolfie, wanting to know more about Schema. I can recommend Tina Bruce's book (3rd Edition) which has a lot about Schema in there as 'another lens' with which to observe children.

I am so intrigued though that I have bought Chris Athey's book (second edition 2007) 'Extending Thought in Young Children A Parent - Teacher Partnership' from Amazon.

I have not had time to read it yet because of assignments but it will be by summer reading - how sad is that!

Reading the Preface I see that Cathy Nutbrown produced 'Threads of Thinking' in 1999 which 'can be thought of as a companion to 'Extending thought in Young Children' in that it applies the Froebel Project findings....'

Hope that helps.

But I think Peggy is saying that enclosure is something different? :o

Both 'containing and enveloping' involve enclosure ie 'surrounded by'.

I was considering your description, comparing 'containing and enveloping', as the child was placing items 'in' rather than wrapping around I felt it was more related to 'containing'.

Now if a child wrapped an item into a a piece of paper ( a bit like a do it yourself envelope) = enveloping......then took it to a pretend post box and posted it (and sometimes all manner of other items) into the box = containing.........................then took items out of box and carried them to another part of the room = transporting

the above describes a very frequant activity I have observed on numerous occasions at preschool, some would say it's just 'role play' but if a child persistently repeats these actions over a period of time I would say they are following / focused on the schema's of enveloping, containing and transporting.

Does that make sense?

Mind you I don't really think it matters what word you choose to use to describe the action, as long as the same word is used every time the action is noted, and others understand what action the word is describing, and that the word is not too ambiguous. :(

Now I wonder is constantly picking ones nose is a schema xD:( (think about it, some children are sometimes very focused on this activity, giving their actions full observational and sensory obsession)

Peggy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link Lucy. I'm also interested in schemas but sometimes find it hard to pinpoint which one a child is displaying.

Sally

I've been invited to a conference where Tina Bruce is speaking, I am obviously going to have to arrange cover sounds like she could be good!

I've been invited to a conference where Tina Bruce is speaking, I am obviously going to have to arrange cover sounds like she could be good!

I've heard that she is very good. I used her books widely for my coursework. Let us know what you think after the conference.

Sally

Guest Wolfie

Tina Bruce will definitely be worth listening to - very highly thought of in early years circles!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)