Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Developing Outdoor Area

Hi we have recently extended our outdoor area although it is just grass. I was wondering if anyone knew of any websites that offer support in developing an outdoor area or if anyone had any great ideas. Is it ok to use old milk crates, tyres and drain pipes etc or is it too big a health and safety risk? We have some bikes and would like to make a track through the grass - would pavement slabs be best?? We also want to make a vegetable patch. Any ideas would be most appreciated x

i put out a plea to parents for planks of wood, buckets, paint brushes, drain pipes, old tyres etc to use for our outdoors.

Did a risk assessment on them and use tyres as planting areas - children love it :o

I did a whole half term's work on making a sensory garden in our outside play area. I had tried to see if B&Q would give us a small community grant but we were too late for that year they told us. So I appealed to our parents. I put a plan out for what would be nice to have in the area after I had worked with the children on some Ideas from them.

I asked for help with stepping stones x10, bags of bark chippings, recently cut down logs, herb plants, pebbles, large and small, butterfly bush, tubs, bulbs and other plants, weed suppressant mat and log roll. The children helped me to write an invitation to a garden party. We baked biscuits and practiced songs . On the morning of our party lots of parent came and got stuck in digging out the area, banging in the log roll, pegging down matting, and planting up.

A parent took a video and added a lovely song for prosperity. It was a fantastic morning, and cost us £40 in total.

I had to buy log roll and weed suppressant matting: everything else was supplied. It was one of the best things I have ever done and it really encouraged a community feeling.

I sent home a long list of things to parents that we were on the look out for, including milk crates, bakers trays, clothes houses, peddles, tubs, guttering. Got quiet a lot brought in. Parents were really helpful. Now waiting for our shelter to be put in- they reckon they will be able to install it during the last 2 weeks in may- only 4 weeks to go!!! When we have the shelter and have planted out some our pots etc we are inviting the parents in to see our handy work, and for a cup of tea!

This is what we have achieved this week as part of our grwoing topic.Donated tyres from a local company, half price posts by asking the manager at Wickes for a good deal.Making the school groundsmen a cup of tea and 2 choccie biscuits each to fill with soil, plants from my garden supplimented with a pack of herbs and heathers from BBQ.

they are in a triangle with hook eyes through the top so we can run a washing line between them and peg up number lines/curtains for dens/summershade :( /shows and a circus according to the children :o My husband cemented them in buckets prior to putting them in the tyres xD

Edited by Guest

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We also developed our outside area by asking local farmers for tractor tyres which we use as story tyres - as long as they are pressure cleaned you are Ok.

We also approached Bewl Water Boating Club and was given a boat which children love having adventures in.

parents were invited in for Make a Difference day and one parent created a post box - look like a real one - which children can use to send letters.

We also dug up one area which children use as a digging area - they love just digging - and with water - creating a 'chocolate river' !!!! Very messy but loved.

Guttering etc is fine. There is always someone present when children are outside, keeping an eye on proceedings so safety issues shouldn't be too much to worry about.

Welcome to the Form, Jane

Sounds like you've been very productive - love the boat idea!

Congratulations on making your first post, make yourself at home!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)