Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling A Bit Lost In New Role

I just feel like I should know so many more answers than I do. The people in the Nursery I'm attached to have more experience of working with young children than me - I have only taught Reception classes. Whilst I know the FS curriculum inside out I just feel like I'm not qualified for this job. :o I have moved LEA's for the job and of course this LEA works comletely differently to mine and is piloting projects that I have never heard of - people are asking me for advice on these and I don't know the answers!

I know they only had a couple of applicants and had real trouble recruiting so I am just worried that I've go tthe job before I'm ready and I should have worked in a preschool beforehand. Just feels quite daunting. Anyone else feel the same or did when they started?

Dear Miss A,

Don't feel lost - you have worked with reception children and did a really wonderful job - keep feeling positive and try and find some support from your co-workers. In my previous life I worked in the legal profession so complete change to pre-school - I felt daunted, but life is great working with such little darlings, and I am sure you will do a wonderful job with your little ones.

Welcome to the forum Miss A and brush away all those negatives and visualise on your wonderful strengths :oxD

Dot

Hello MissA

I felt just like you do now when I started at a Children's Centre especially as I had no experience of working with under 3s either. but I am really glad I overcame my initial doubts about my ability to do the job. It is a very steep learning curve and 2 years into the job I am still learning but I love it. Every day is different and I have certainly been able to widen my experience.

So I say give it a go, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Good luck, CCT

Thanks. Didn't mean it to sound like I was searching for sympathy!! It's just such a diverse role and it is so different wherever you are depending on the needs of your centre that it doesn't seem as if anyone can give a clear indication of what to do. Plus it feels a bit like you need to be confident in so many fields - think I shoudl try and access as much training as I can during this settling in epriod.

Hi from me too MissA, a new venture is always a bit daunting. When I started supply I just had to keep my head down, observe and hope beyond hope I didnt cock up. I still avoid making up babies bottles or washing them, I have no memory of how I did my own lads. Always suprises me how they got to be grown up!

:oxD

I would think what you're feeling is only natural in a new position, with so much to learn having changed LEA's etc and so much unfamiliar. Take a deep breath and keep telling yourself you will be able to do this.

Can anyone person be expected to know everything, or worse think they do but they don't? Isn't it better to gather opinions from the team around you, reach concensus, draw on your experience and their experience and grow together. Aren't we all learning all the time?

Well that's what I'm hoping for anyway :o .

Good job you've joined the Foundation Forum, I'm sure if you have any queries somebody from here will be able to offer advice or send you in the right direction.

I'm sure you are more than able of fulfilling your role.

Welcome to twinkletwinkle!

A very warm welcome to MissA and to twinkletwinkle.

Some great advice for you already MissA. Give yourself time to settle in and get used to everything. As Shelley says the people on here can put you right on most things. These are professionals with a huge wealth of experience and qualifications who are more than willing to share their help, ideas and advice. Dont be afraid to ask. :o

Best of luck to you too twinkletwinkle in your studies. Enjoy the forum but be warned......it's addictive!!!

xD

Guest Wolfie

Hi MissA and welcome to the forum - and welcome to twinkletwinkle too! I'm a CCT and am guessing that that's your job role too? I've been in post for 2.5 years now and am still feeling my way - believe me, your feelings are completely normal and felt by most CCTs!

Have you got any specific worries/questions/queries? I'm more than happy to help if I can! :o

Hi and welcome from me too. And just to let you know I am in just the same position as you - feeling very daunted at being appointed manager of a preschool as there was no-one else to do it, and wonder if I am up to the job as I have vey limited knowledge of the foundation stage (I was a childminder before looking after under threes!).

All I can say is have faith in your abilities and take each day as it comes. No-one expects you to know everything - I told my committee that I am happy to do the job as long as they realise I am in training - but then isn't everyone working with children?!!

Good luck and hang in there!

welcome Miss A

hey away with those negatives, I know its difficult please do not be hasty, yo uneed to give yourself time and find your feet.

I started out in a pre-school as a deputy and only just qualified level 3 at the time. But now 2 years on, I am so happy and found my feet and picked up so much info on the way. AT first I thought that I was qualified enough or even experience enough to be a deputy supoervisor.

So much so that I have thoughts like wow if I ever got offered a job that was very tempting. I probably would accept especially if its what I want. I thinking no I can't leave I love it so much and enjoy working with my 'boss' keep having dream don't think I could do it.

so give it time its taken me a good 2 years. I am still learning too!!

Yes , I have seen that course. I went for a 3 day course up there this year with my LEA, but it was about quality in EYs not specifacally role of CCT. I have mentioned it, so possibly something will be arranged as I know that my LEA are liaiasing to bring them down to us rather than us go up there- we're south coast so it's a long way to go! :o

Guest Wolfie

I know what you mean! We're in the West Midlands and have discovered that Pascal and Bertram run a lot of their Early Excellence courses at other venues as well - we're hijacking one in Worcetsershire this week! I think you'll find that the Marion Dowling one about the role of the CCT is also run at Early Education in London if that's any better?

http://www.early-education.org.uk/ccp51/cg...atstr=HOME:list

Having said that, it's not on the list for this term! But I'm sure that they DO run it there regularly.

Welcome to the forum from me too. Hopefully all the replies have helped to allay your feelings of inadequacy. Taking on a new role is always challenging and there will be a great many things you will need to learn along the way. However, don't forget that you will be bringing your own skills and knowledge to them and they will be learning from you too. Never be afraid to say 'I don't know', but always follow it up with 'I'll find out and get back to you'. Then come and ask all the wonderful people here. :o

Hi all,

I know that feeling i have been in post since January and still don't really know what my role is as i seem to be doing a bit of everything.

All tips are welcomed!!!

harshy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)