Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

Guest flutter

Guest flutter

Hi All.

Does anyone know what the expectations from OFSTED are regarding child-initiated/ structured play activities linking to topic. Do all activities need to link?

The Inspector we had (not EYs experienced we understand!) seemed to suggest that we should have more activities linked. We had approx 50+%. But find some topics easier than others.

Would like to hears the views of those more experienced with Ofsted.

agree with hali, I'd also say that if for example your topic was 'animals' and a child is playing in the home corner, if THE CHILD was 'inspired' by the subject matter of the topic, then the child would find the link, and possibly (for example) spontaneously role play feeding an imaginary pet in the home corner, (child initiated) if you see what I mean. :o

Most all activities, as you know, can link to most all topics.

Actually I don't think children think 'in topics' or experience 'life' in topics, and to expect a 'totally' topic engineered environment, to me is unnatural, and certainly doesn't embrace the 'individuality' of children.

Now if I'd just had your ofsted inspector, I would wish that I could have thought of the above words to say to him/her, but again in real life, under pressure, we always think, after the event, I wish I'd said...... xD

Unless they have given this 'advice' as an action point, I'd forget about it and as hali says, do what works for YOUR children. If it is an action point then ensure staff are aware of POSSIBLE links that they can encourage in the event that a child is 'lost' for what to do, or how he/she wants to access a particular activity ie: requires adult interaction, then, and only then would I suggest the adult 'leads' the child to a link to topic thought process within his/her play.

Peggy

Guest flutter

Thank you all. Peggy I totally agree with all you said. Was beginning to doubt my own knowledge, as we do!!!

It is in the past now anyway just thought I would find out what you all thought.

EYFS_Best_Practice.doc

Thought there were some good points in this weeks Nursery World and kind of confirmed how I feel about child-initiated play, planning etc

"....come inspection, what matters is that early years practitioners are able to 'talk planning' with the inspector. That means being clear about what you do and why".

There was a lot of food for thought!

• 3 weeks later...

Any advice? As I am relatively new to the nursery and teaching, I wondered if anyone can give me advice as what to expect when Ofsted come calling. How much time will they spend with us and is everyone interviewed?

Any advice? As I am relatively new to the nursery and teaching, I wondered if anyone can give me advice as what to expect when Ofsted come calling. How much time will they spend with us and is everyone interviewed?

Hi s4mmy, not sure I've said hello and welcome to you before, so hello from me. :o

The time spent in your setting depends on what type of setting you are, full day care is 2 days.

Who/how many staff/parents the Inspectors will speak to varies considerably, depending on Inspector.

Have a look at the Ofsted site for their publication, "Are you ready for Inspection", plus updates are imminent on changes / guidance re: EYFS Inspections.

Try doing a search, just type in Ofsted and you will find many, many previous discussions of different experiences forum members have had.

Peggy

Guest Wolfie

Our Centre has a full daycare nursery and the inspector was only with us for one day.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)