Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Story Sacks

Hi, does any one know where I can get Story Sacks from? I know a lot of setting recruit their parents to help make them but I asked our parents to help supply string, ribbon, wool, twine for weaving a couple of weeks ago...and then I went and bought some! So, there's an avenue thats really a cul-d-sac!!!!!!!!!! :o

Hi Rea

Storysacks can be bought from

Storysack Ltd

Resource House

Kay Street

Bury

BL9 6BU

TEL: 0161 763 6232

E-mail: hello@storysack.com

www.storysack.com

You can either buy the complete sack or parts of.

Linda

Hi Rea,

I just picked up two of them yesterday for nothing! I called my early years department at Bucks county council and they informed me that METAS. Multi cultural, ethnic, travellers, something, something supply them. There were 34 of them to choose from, not to mention a huge amount of resources as well. I felt like a child in a sweety shop. I also picked up a wonderful boy puppet about a foot and a half in height, he's going to take the register today. Hopefully he will get the interest of our fidgety 3 year olds.

Yours

Angie :)

Have you also tried making story boxes? Less sewing involved. Get a shoe box and decorate with whatever theme/story you like and put in mini copy of book, objects from the story, fabrics etc etc. It makes a whole small world in a box. I made one for Owl babies of which I am very proud: 1 shoebox covered in dolls house wood grain paper and painted with trees inside. I put in bark and twigs,conkers and bits of branch. Fortunately I have a parent (My Own) who is a damn fine knitter and she made me the babies but I would have had a go myself otherwise or found some other owl models, added a copy of the story and some dark fabric swatches and hey presto, Owl baby world. I have seen others made on different themes as well as books eg deserts or underwater.

There is a small book about story boxes by Helen Bromley, published by CLPE (Centre for Language in Primary Education) Webber Row London SE1. She is the guru of the story box and this book is full of great and easy ideas.

Hope this is useful :o

Your story box sounds great, Catma. I've wondered about storyboxes v. storysacs.

Something else to investigate! :o

Have you got a contact number for this organisation, Angie? Could it be something only available in Bucks? I'd really love a puppet such as you describe but they are usually so expensive to buy.

I'm not very creative to make my own without a pattern/ instructions, does anyone know where to source such a thing? (puppet).

Hi, thanks for all the info. Story boxes might be a better idea for us with our limited storage space. Great idea. I will also be contacting our Ealy years dept. see if we can get free ones in Birmingham. :D:D

Hi, I've just been on the dfes web site. As far as I can discover it is only Bucks that are doing this in connection with METAS (which I couldnt find on the Birmingham council web page). I sent an email about Bucks generosity so I will wait for reply!! :)

One of my helpers attended a course where she was shown how to adapt a large rag doll into a hand puppet by unstitching the back. I can ask her on Monday and let you know. Often rag dolls can be bought cheaply from charity shops. I love the idea of a story box. My mind is working overtime on that idea. Different scenarios could be made with theme material and changed each time according to the story. A drawstring could be made round the edge of the material which would secure it to the box and then it could be used as a bag to hold the puppets and artefact's for that book. This would cut down the storage space as only one box would be in use. Summer holiday job I think

Glad story boxes are a hit!! They are good for storage too.

You can also cut down 2 edges of the box to make a fold out flap which becomes the base of the world created with 3 surrounding sides and I've also seen them folded out completely to make a base board.

:o

Catma Hi

I wonder if you could help us by giving us a list of books and the resources out togethr for each book to make the sotry box. I find that that's what i get stuck at. Knowing where to start. Here's a list that i got from the internet. I'm waiting to get started in the holdiays

Story_Boxes.htm

I made Owl Babies, described above.

Jungle box: "Walking through the jungle". Lots of toy animals, Painted inside with trees. Also had some plastic trees from a broken up play people set found in a boot sale. Had some seed pods from visits abroad. Also some artificail jungle type flowers

Underwater world: "The rainbow Fish" Painted blues and greens. Stuck sequins all over. Sparkly fabric in greens and blues, Small shark/dolphin models/shells/stuck gren wool in for weed. An old treasure chest pump from a fish tank. Had a Disney Ariel model too.

When I went on a course with Helem Bromley she said that the artefacts in the box didn't have to be directly related to the story but could extend out from it. E.g. if you had a sharks tooth it would be a great thing for the underwater world. The idea is to stimulate talk and imaginative play.

I'll dig out my copy of her book to see if there are any other good ideas but (if it works) here is quite a good list from a website. If it's the same one as yours apologies, I couldn't open it for some reason!

http://www.wiganschoolsonline.net/curricul...es/afp/sbox.htm

Hi I think my link was the same as yiours catma, except I had amended and stored it a while back. Cheers for the good suggestions

Bubblejack, that would be really interesting. I've not long discarded a very tatty rag doll! Always the way, I hoard and hoard and then just as I decide I don't need it & dispose of it I find a use. Alternatively, I can't find where I've put it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)