Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emotional Competence

Dear All

Just had a chance to sit and read Nicola Call's article on 'Emotional Competence' [edit from Steve: The article can be found here].

I found the article to be really thought provoking. It makes perfect sense that the more emotionally competent or if I have understood the article, emotionally well rounded that our little people are the better they will learn and interact with the people around them.

I thought this was a great to highlight this area of child development as sometimes we are so pressured to do other things (such as FSP's, The National Numeracy Strategy etc) that maybe this area of learning could be considered less important. One might think that by setting good examples the children will just learn it by osmosis. Although that is true to a degree with a subject as important as this we should use the belt and braces method. Set good examples yes, but also plan it in some way to ensure that the good practise demonstrated is acknowledged and expanded on.

In my setting I co-ordinate the circle time activity and this is the perfect arena to dedicate a few hours a week to the five aspects of emotional intelligence as defined by Daniel Goleman in the article.

Thanks also to Nicola Call for her vote of confidence in us all as this quote from the article demonstrates;

Although this might seem to be one more thing to take on board, early years practitioners have a definite advantage over their colleagues who teach older children. They have been paying close attention to children's emotional development for years! Furthermore, they are open to innovation, especially when it involves creative, practical, hands-on activities for children.

I would be really interested to hear what everyone else thinks, especially if you hold differing views from me.

Sue

Hi, in the last two years we have had two parents remove their child from pre-school within a matter of weeks of starting, because they wanted their child to be learning how to write their names. All the FS stuff in the world couldnt dissuade them. Both of these children were extremley shy, prefering to watch from the sidelines, but we had noted changes with them starting to move about and show more interest in their surroundings and we passed this informtion onto the parents. I often see these children out and about and they seem to be still introverted and quiet. I firmly believe that the focus of PSED in pre-schools lays the best foundation for future learning. Both of these children would, I believe, of been able to interact if they'd been allowed to find their own way at their own pace. I was certainly not going to demand that a child who couldnt move from where his mother had left him and who cried if spoken to, should come to the mark making area and 'work'. I'm in contact with our pre-school DW at the moment about workshops for parents, hopefully they will make a difference to the ones who still see childhood as a myth. :o

We also have a child who stays in one place once Mum has left but like you say is beginning to make progress all be it very slowly. I wouldn't dream of dragging them off to the drawing table. Unfortunately he will soon be leaving us to go to a different setting with less members of staff, I don't feel that he will get the attention there that he needs and would be better off staying with us. Why don't they realise what is better for their children.

Hello there,

Yes, Sue, I totally agree with what you have said! :o . it is indeed about time this aspect of development should come centre stage and it's great to receive this sort of recognition as a group of professionals. If anyone hasn't yet read Nicola's articles, I strongly recommend you do so!!

Sue :D

• 4 months later...

I've hiked this back centre stage, as it were, because, now that Nicola's full series of articles on 'Emotional Competence' is up on the site, I think they are a vital and thought provoking resource for us all. :o

As I said earlier, if you haven't yet read them, PLEASE do so and let us know what you think!

And Nicola, thank you from the bottom of my heart for these fantastic articles! :D

Sue :D

Quite agree - I especially enjoyed the last one on empathy!

It would be good to get feedback from others, as it lets us know what to concentrate on in the future. That obviously goes for other articles as well as this series...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I only found out about the forum quite recently from the nursery nurse I work with. I am very glad that she enlightened me. I will certainly share your existance with everyone at our next foundation stage leaders meeting. I really enjoyed reading the Nicola Call articles and was thrilled to have joined something that provided such informative articles. I had a good discussion about them with our behaviour team visitor yesterday. Our team had really enjoyed her book on the Thinking Child in the Foundation stage & the resource book that goes with it.

I've really enjoyed all the postings I've read so far and thought that I'd better post something in return.

I was messing about with my son when I chose the puddle jumper stuff, any way of making it a bit more human and changing it to a name, Steve.

I'm now going to try and master avatars which I'd never heard about until tonight.

Susie

Hi Susie -

Great to hear your feedback and thanks for your first post! :D

I can of course change your member name, although I really like the sound of your current one - you could attach your name as a signature if you prefer to leave things the way they are.

Alternatively, if you do a quick search through the members names that currently exist and select one that doesn't, just let me know and I'll be happy to change it for you.

Steve :)

Susie,

Thanks for the introduction. :) You'll find that as well as the wonderful articles there is a wealth of brilliant advice, ideas and lively debate. Not only that but everyone is here to support each other in time of need. :D We really are one big happy family - excuse me, I've made myself feel nauseous now! :o

Hi there Susie!!

A great big welcome from me!!!

Sue :D:D:D

( Sorry, feeling really good right now! Going back to work in time for Christmas and the play and an AMAZING night last night, watching The Darkness...Have to go and put the CD on again!!! :oxD )

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad to hear that people have enjoyed the articles. I found them really stimulating to research and write.

And it was an enormous challenge to try to keep to 1000 words - which I didn't manage. Sorry Steve! I am far better suited to longer work. Thank goodness these were written exclusively for use on the internet not for paper. I would not manage well with a strict word limit. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)