Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting Foundation Degree

Hi everyone,

I havent posted for such along time as we have been so busy at Pre School. I have finally taken the plunge and enrolled for the Foundation Degree in Early Years through Worcester University, which has an outreach college in Taunton Somerset.

I am excited to be learning again but also terrified of the level of work and organisation that i will need. I currently lead a Pre School, also a single mum of four and have three labradors...will I be able to cope??

Lots of reasurring vibes needed.

Lots of reasurring vibes needed.

I can offer lots of reassuring vibes: it is 'doable', and stimulating and interesting and challenging. But don't underestimate the amount of work you've signed up to! Try to be as organised as you can, do as much work as you can straight away without letting things pile up, but remember to build in some 'me' time (as well as children and dog time!) so that you remain some level of sanity. :o

And of course we'll all be here to support you as you go!

Maz

Guest Wolfie

I think you'll love it and won't have any regrets at all! Of course there'll be times when you might get a little bit stressed, with deadlines looming, but you will get such a sense of achievement when you've completed modules and produced work. Everyone I know who's done/doing it has raved about the course and its relevance to their everyday practice.

And remember, the forum will get you through! :o

You will be fine and like others have said you will love it, I think most of us have so many commitments, god knows how we all cope but we do. I am nearing the end of the FD and like everything before you know it - you have done it!!

It is for you and that is what makes it worthwhile. (oh and the benefit of all those children you care for daily, yours, and other peoples)

P.s It is not advisable to do it without the FSF support network, what a great support they all are.

Edited by Guest

Hi Cupcake

I just had the info through about this too and we're having a meeting to see whether its worth some of us from my setting take part!

I was wondering whether I ought to do it, as I have just recently been assessed for EYPS but come from a different background. I really want to learn a bit more about Early Years. Would others do it if they were me?

I completed my foundation degree last year which took me 3 years to do. I really enjoyed it and it has improved my knowledge and got me promotions. It is hard work but I managed to complete it as well as working 42 hours a week and having a one year old when I started but it is worth it!

hi cupcake

im on my second year of the degree at the moment, i work in a day nusery as the deputy and also have a second job at the weekends!!! believe me it can get very stressful but it very enjoyable

once you get your head round studying again!

you need to prepare yourself for the work load and getting organise ( im half way through it and im still not organised!!!!!) but i think you will love it!!!

have fun !!!

Thank everyone for your replies. I have now started getting organised, firstly by starting to set up a nice bright study area. I have started to decorate my bedroom and will add a desk, shelving and filing system. I plan to make sure I buy fresh flowers everyweek to keep my spirts up. I am very much of the thinking that if I make my study area as attractive as possible then at least i will feel more determined.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cupcake, I was wondering how you were getting along?

I've just sent off my UCAS applaiction (nothing like procrastination...) - I'm hoping to go straight into the 2nd year as I did the ADCE before, but am now feeling sick with nerves. I'm sure all the others will be doing it so much better than me, and I don't ahve anywhere at home for a study area, plus a million other worries!

I've signed up for FD Integrated Children's & Young People's Services starting in October - trying the power of positive thinking!

I CAN juggle this with full-time childminding, a houseful of pets and the fact that I'll complete my 3rd year at the same time my daughter will sit her GCSE's :o

Now if I can just find someone else who's starting the same thing..........?

Nona

Hi Cupcake, I was wondering how you were getting along?

I've just sent off my UCAS applaiction (nothing like procrastination...) - I'm hoping to go straight into the 2nd year as I did the ADCE before, but am now feeling sick with nerves. I'm sure all the others will be doing it so much better than me, and I don't ahve anywhere at home for a study area, plus a million other worries!

Hi,

Getting their slowly, I have been accepted onto the course, start in Sept. Have just sent off all my funding forms etc.

Had my induction afternoon, where we recieved the handbook and outline of the modules and a timetable. To be honest I am really looking forward to it. The students and tutors seem like a nice bunch and the timetable seems managable..but life does have a habit of surprising us LOL.

As for the decorating, well i have the paper, paint etc but alas i havent started. Will probably make a start in the 6 weeks...the joys of term time only.

On the plus side I have promised myself and the kids a holiday to Turkey next year, as I know I am going to be snowed under from Sept onwards, roll on August 2009 lol

Hi Cupcake,

I have very nearly (2 and a half weeks to go) finished my foundation degree whilst managing a pre school, had health issues, kids, pets etc etc etc.

It has been one of the most hard, exhausting, tearful, challenging, exhilirating, fantastic, rewarding, educational journey's of my life.

Also be prepared for the next 2 years to have burnt dinners (my kids now cook their own), messy house, dead plants and NO social life.

Not really selling it am I.

I wish you all the best and just believe in yourself and what you can do.

Net xx

Hi Cupcake,

I have very nearly (2 and a half weeks to go) finished my foundation degree whilst managing a pre school, had health issues, kids, pets etc etc etc.

It has been one of the most hard, exhausting, tearful, challenging, exhilirating, fantastic, rewarding, educational journey's of my life.

Also be prepared for the next 2 years to have burnt dinners (my kids now cook their own), messy house, dead plants and NO social life.

Not really selling it am I.

I wish you all the best and just believe in yourself and what you can do.

Net xx

PMSL You have just described my life now to a tee, so doing the Degree should feel like coming home LOL

Oh yes.

Do utilise this forum for advice and support, it is a godsend when you have no idea what to do.

Has happened to me on more than one occassion.

All the best

net xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)