Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shakespeare

Hi All

As part of my EYPS i am doing my English and as such I am studying Shakespeare does anyone know of any study support books that explain the literature in English and the background to the story. (if this makes sense). Any good study aid suggestions would be great. Thanks

I personally ADORE Mr Shakespeare (however you spell it!!)

However, as a child I read 'Lamb's Tales of Shakespeare', which sought to tell the story of the various plays. Now, I'm afraid, I have the feeling someone is going to say it is no longer available - so I suggest you find a friendly librarian to either find Lamb's, or a similar 'precis of the MAN'S plays'.

Sue - yes, I'm a bit 'precious' over Mr S!

Big PS - there used to be study texts available.........?

Not really an adult study guide but we have a boxed set of shakespeare for juniors-12 books.My 11 year old loves them.I bought them for her birthday as she is an avid reader.They are great for getting the similified plot sorted out in your head as they can be very complicated.I bought them from the The Book People £8:99 for 12 books is worth a look.they are by Andrew Matthews and Tony Ross

Not sure how to post a link-maybe someoneelse can?

Edited by Guest

Belle -

You have made me smile with this thread :o Firstly by asking for it 'in English', then by talking about the 'terminology'. I mean that in the nicest way, but the man has written some of the most wonderful, witty, bawdy, sentimental, violent and aggressive 'stuff' in the English language, with many of his phrases passing into every day usage. The best way to understand him is to see his work performed.

I heartily recommend it!

Sue xx

PS - you could start with something like the Leonardo DiCaprio 'Romeo and Juliet', although I'm normally more of a purist!!

Thanks sue probarly did not use the right wording but for someone used to reading jackie collins and Sophie Kinsella shakespeare and the language that is used is not always very easily understood. I will look at getting a couple of dvd's out any reason to watch Leonardo Dicaprio does anyone know if brad pit has done any shakespeare LOL!!!!

I hate Shakepeare, it brings back really awful memories of studying Henry IV part one at school....shivvers..

But Ive always found the CGP guides great and very 'English' in description if they do one for whatever you are studying..

Thanks sue probarly did not use the right wording but for someone used to reading jackie collins and Sophie Kinsella shakespeare and the language that is used is not always very easily understood. I will look at getting a couple of dvd's out any reason to watch Leonardo Dicaprio does anyone know if brad pit has done any shakespeare LOL!!!!

Oooo. I love Jackie Collins!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)