Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gervais Phinn

:o hi

just had our NQT conference with guest speaker Gervais Phinn - he is superb! if you ever get the chance to see him i highly recommend it. he re-affirms what we all believe teaching SHOULD be about and had us in stitches all day with his stories of being a teacher, headteacher and school inspector (he resigned as an Ofsted inspector due to his disagreement about league tables and SATs etc.)

he also writes books which are very amusing.

Lizz XXXX

I recognise the name, did he write a column in a educational magazine as well? I remember him being quite funny, making me laugh out loud! :D

I think he wrote in the Times Ed, he has written books of poetry, 'The day our teacher went batty' is one. He has also written several autobiographical books, very funny and some of the incidents help you to remember why you teach, I'm just in the middle of reading the latest they are all brilliant and I would recommend them!

Hi

The Gervais Phinn books I have read are Head over Heels in the Dale and The Other Side of the Dale. There is another book but I can't remember the name. His collection of poems is called Classroom Creatures. They are all very funny and even made me laugh out aloud. If you're into internet shopping the books are available at Amazon.co.uk

mousebat

We had him at our school last year for a whole day and invited other schools in. It was superb. People left with smiles on their faces and a sense of purpose. We all suddenly remembered why we had gone into teaching in the first place. It was like having a day at the Spa - refreshing and envigorating.

How good is it to have someone of his stature questioning why & how, in Foundation Stage, we have to assess things like understanding beliefs and cultures when most of the adult population doesn't!!!

I highly recommend him.

heyjude :D

The other book is called "Over Hill and Dale". I can thoroughly recommend these books, they are so entertaining. :D A fourth book is out in hardback but I am being stingy and waiting for the paperback version!!

xD hi

Gervase Phinn's books for grown-ups in sequence are:

1. The other side of the dale

2. Over hill and dale

3. Head over hills in the dales

4. Up and down in the dales

(they are all set in the Yorkshire where he was a school inspector)

His books for kids, some of which are poetry some fiction, are:

It takes one to know one (poetry)

The day our teacher went batty (poetry)

Family Phantoms (fiction)

Dominic's discovery (fiction)

Bad Becky (fiction)

Talking of poetry does anyone know of any good Early Years poetry anthologies?

I have a few general ones but often the poems are a bit complex.

:o Lizz xxxxxxxxx

ps I didnt buy ALL his books, only some! and picked up a leaflet!

My very first inset day as an NQT was a day with Gervase. He was brilliant, so funny. Was just like reading his books! He sold his books there and I got the 4th one signed for me, after borrowing 1-3 from my mum (also a teacher) when I found out I was going to be meeting him. He's a lovely man and a good speaker with some really good ideas. I'd definately suggest a read of his books. I found them very funny, and maybe being a Yorkshire girl it adds that extra bit to it. A great easy to read book. Some of his books for kids are good too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)